Oh no, I've got a mouse in my house

twobears

I really dont like the idea of poison. The mice can eat it, then run off back to their hide (be it in a cavity, a nest in a ceiling etc). There they will then slowly die, and rot, and smell - and you will be unable to remove them or detect them until the smell or stain makes its way through the plasterboard... Not a nice thought.

Much better to have them dealt with instantly and be able to dispose of them imho.

Make sure you use a bait box so the cats don't eat it.

Really do make sure you keep an eye on your cats - one of ours died a very slow and painful death once - the vet was really stumped as to what happened and got some experts in from Liverpool University to look into it and they deducted that the cat ate a mouse shortly after the mouse had ingested poison but before the poison took hold and it was still running about.

I dread to think how much it cost my parents trying to save that cat - we even took sick cat's brother in to the vets who 'donated' his blood and gave the sick one a transfusion!

S.

Chris, I panelled my study last year and I made a sort of box to cover the central heating boiler pump so I was going to put the bait box in there as there's no way that anyone other than mousie or his chums could access it. Oddly, I haven't heard the patter of tiny feet at all today and I no longer feel as though I am being watched when I'm working in the study so I'm wondering if the paracetamol that he chewed have already killed the little fella?

I know what you are saying Chesterfield and it wasn't my number one choice but I'm afraid that I have had to suffer rotting mouse smell many times over the past few years as most of the mice I get die behind the skirting boards without me even knowing that they were there. This one has lasted far longer than any of the others and I really think he may be dead already since today is the first day I've not heard him. The trap hasn't worked and the pest control people told me to forget about it and use the poison for the quickest result.

Thanks Squee, I've got two cats and two dogs and would hate them to eat the mouse. They are with me most of the day so I will keep a very close eye on them.

When we used to stay in the big house out in the country a few years ago we would get mice now and again coming in, I always put out the humane trap with some chocolate in it and would catch one everytime.

Can remember sitting watching the TV and one climbed up the wicker bin and was walking round the top of it to get onto a small table to reach a box of malteasers, I think they look too cute to kill them and you have to love their adaptability.

I started letting them out the traps miles away in case it was the same one coming back in all the time :lol:

I did ponder with the idea of buying a big cage and keeping everyone I caught to see how many I could get....

I haven't heard Mr Mouse since his raid on my paracetamol supply and I no longer have the feeling that I'm being watched whenever I'm in the study so I kind of think he is deceased. I am just waiting for the smell, which, sadly, I recognise only too well having had many previous mice die behind the skirting boards.

The pest control man at '"Chicken Club" (first rule of Chicken Club, never talk about Chicken Club :lol: ) said that released mice just come back into the house and he had sometimes put orange spots on their backs to prove the fact to householders. He said they soon believed him when they kept catching the orange spotted mouse in their trap over and over :headhurt:

When we used to stay in the big house out in the country a few years ago we would get mice now and again coming in, I always put out the humane trap with some chocolate in it and would catch one everytime.

Can remember sitting watching the TV and one climbed up the wicker bin and was walking round the top of it to get onto a small table to reach a box of malteasers, I think they look too cute to kill them and you have to love their adaptability.

I started letting them out the traps miles away in case it was the same one coming back in all the time :lol:

I did ponder with the idea of buying a big cage and keeping everyone I caught to see how many I could get....

Nice to see I'm not the only one on here who doesn't immediately think "kill". :thumbs:

Yep, mice can travel miles back to the same house. Like homing pigeons!!!

I remember going on a date with a very hot blond girl once many years back and she invited me back to her house. I thought my luck was in, but we were in the kitchen making a cup of tea and her cat brings this mouse in and drops it at her feet. The problem was the mouse was still alive and ran off behind the cooker. The blond jumped screaming onto the worktop and refused to get off. And I had to spend the rest of the evening moving cooker, fridge freezer, washing machine and trying to encourage the cat to re-catch the mouse. sigh!

Yep, mice can travel miles back to the same house. Like homing pigeons!!!

I remember going on a date with a very hot blond girl once many years back and she invited me back to her house. I thought my luck was in, but we were in the kitchen making a cup of tea and her cat brings this mouse in and drops it at her feet. The problem was the mouse was still alive and ran off behind the cooker. The blond jumped screaming onto the worktop and refused to get off. And I had to spend the rest of the evening moving cooker, fridge freezer, washing machine and trying to encourage the cat to re-catch the mouse. sigh!

Have to ask though.... when you'd done your good deed, was your luck srtill in? :lol: