Clutch Troubles - Expertise Required

stubzie83

Hi all,

I've been searching around for an answer to my issue but can't find out anything definitive and am not sure what to do. Any help from those whom have had experience would be greatly appreciated :thumbs:

Basically, I'm having some issues with my clutch operation. Since buying the car in October 2010 I've always noticed the lumpy/sudden clutch engagement and release bearing noise and from what everyone says this is normal so I've got used to it.

Last year I noticed that the clutch engagement was getting slightly worse and there were occasional rattly sounds when pushing the clutch pedal in. I had a P3 service at Abbey M/S in September 2011 and the clutch pedal felt much tighter and smoother to engage when it came back. I'm guessing they adjusted something but I don't know what and after a month the pedal loosened up again and the engagement went back to it's old ways.

Since then I've noticed particularly in the last few months the clutch engagement becoming more sudden and grabby and some judder through the pedal at the biting point when pulling away. About two weeks ago when pulling away a bit suddenly to avoid a dust cart that was careering towards me the clutch pedal got stuck half way up as I pulled away and the clutch burnt out fairly massively before the pedal finally popped up :bang:

I was a bit worried that the clutch disc would be toast but it seemed to be alright after letting it cool down (was very smelly though). Everything then seemed to be alright but over the last week I'm now getting a nasty squeaking sound when releasing the clutch pedal. It sounds like it's coming from underneath the car and is much louder with the window open. I took a video in my garage with the bonnet up and the sound is definitely louder from under the bonnet area and is louder still from underneath the car.

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc371/stubzie83/?action=view&current=SqueakyClutch.mp4

I was thinking that my first move would be to replace the fluid as it's most likely cooked and causing some issues. My next thought is would I need a master or slave cylinder replacement or even just a clean up or greasing. Has anyone had the sound/experience with their clutch and found a fix that worked? I only ask as when searching the forum and the web all sorts of answers spring up and I'm unsure of the best course of action.

Thanks,

Steve

The reason it stuck could be release bearing, slave cylinder or master cylinder. The judder you were getting could have been down to the clutch not engaging properly or due to the clutch being worn out.

Best bet is to get it into an independent and buy the parts from zmanalex as he's probs the cheapest around for the oem parts

Steve,

You do not say what model of car or what mileage mate.

The issue with the pedal sticking half down should be fixable with replacing the clutch slave, line and fluid. I would not bother with the master at this stage.

The noise sounds like a dry pivot ball where the clutch fork clips onto.

Or perhaps it may be the clutch cover diaphragm.

Depending on the mileage and history of the car then a new clutch kit and flywheel may also be required.

ALL parts in stock and good to go same/next day :thumbs:

Drop me a PM if I can help you further mate.

Or any further questions then just fire a way. :thumbs:

Alex :)

Steve,

The issue with the pedal sticking half down should be fixable with replacing the clutch slave, line and fluid. I would not bother with the master at this stage.

Depending on the mileage and history of the car then a new clutch kit and flywheel may also be required.

Thanks for having a look Alex.

The car is a 2004 with 40k miles on the clock. I've only driven the car for the last 9k miles so there's 31k miles of unknown history with the previous and only other owner.

I was a bit worried that it might be a pivot as some people in the USA have greased their pivots by squirting grease through the hole where the fork goes into the box. I don't fancy randomly squirting grease in there though :scare:

Steve,

Thanks for having a look Alex.

The car is a 2004 with 40k miles on the clock. I've only driven the car for the last 9k miles so there's 31k miles of unknown history with the previous and only other owner.

I was a bit worried that it might be a pivot as some people in the USA have greased their pivots by squirting grease through the hole where the fork goes into the box. I don't fancy randomly squirting grease in there though :scare:

So a 350Z then :thumbs:

UK model or JDM as the pivot ball pins are different?

Squirting some WD 40 through the clutch fork aperture as a process of elimination will do no harm.

Get some one to pump the clutch pedal when you are squirting (that sounds so wrong) :lol:

And monitor if the sound changes or perhaps even disappears if you are lucky.

However the above is only a process of elimination and is not a permanent fix.

Yeah, it's a 350z :lol: It is a UK GT model.

I have read about clutch pivots breaking and bendy clutch forks, but these apparently were on the 2003 model and were redesigned for the 2004 model to be a bit stronger so hopefully I have the uprated ones on mine.

Just as an update. I got under the car today to change the clutch fluid and possibly grease the clutch pivot. When I went to attach a tube to the bleeder valve I noticed brake fluid oozing from the slave cylinder around the rubber boot. I guess the slave has gone and is causing the issues. I also found the fluid in the reservoir was very cloudy and full of bits so it needs changing as well. Guess its time to get a new slave put in.

Just as an update. I got under the car today to change the clutch fluid and possibly grease the clutch pivot. When I went to attach a tube to the bleeder valve I noticed brake fluid oozing from the slave cylinder around the rubber boot. I guess the slave has gone and is causing the issues. I also found the fluid in the reservoir was very cloudy and full of bits so it needs changing as well. Guess its time to get a new slave put in.

I guess that it is :thumbs:

Swop out the slave, line and fluid. give it a good bleed.

All parts in stock and good to go same/next day :thumbs: