Any Bike Mechanics out there?

EH 370z

Got a couple of problems with my Speed Triple, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction? :bangin:

1/ On board computer doesn’t work, speedo and rev counter does the clock shows the time but can adjust anything!

2/ The bike seems to have a fuel problem. It runs fine when cold, but when you slow down to town riding and the bike is hot it seems to flood a bit and I have to rev it up to clear an then I cant get full throttle under load etc etc.

Any tips would be great, a decent bike mechanic in the North East would be great too :thumbs:

Thanks in advance

T

I'm guessing from your problems that this is a 1050 speed triple? Possibly a few years old? They had major trouble with the can bus system and corrosion problems in the clocks due to water ingress/condensation which caused the dash functions to fail. As for the running issue, as long as it's been serviced recently so that you know the plugs, air filter and valve clearances are good and throttle bodies are clean and balanced, a re map at your local Triumph dealer should sort that out. I don't 'think' the running issue will be connected to the dash problem unless it's so bad it's not reading sensors correctly. I would thought if a sensor is 'out' (water, maf ) it would throw a cel.

I'm guessing from your problems that this is a 1050 speed triple? Possibly a few years old? They had major trouble with the can bus system and corrosion problems in the clocks due to water ingress/condensation which caused the dash functions to fail. As for the running issue, as long as it's been serviced recently so that you know the plugs, air filter and valve clearances are good and throttle bodies are clean and balanced, a re map at your local Triumph dealer should sort that out. I don't 'think' the running issue will be connected to the dash problem unless it's so bad it's not reading sensors correctly. I would thought if a sensor is 'out' (water, maf ) it would throw a cel.

Yes, thanks for that. It is a 2006 1050!

Not wishing to sound too thick but what is the can bus system?

I will pop it along to a dealer and have those things looked at, are the clock expensive to replace?

Many thanks for your help :thumbs:

I will pop it along to a dealer and have those things looked at, are the clock expensive to replace?

central (or car) area network, dreadful invention that makes all sensors and sub-systems 'talk' to each other via a central point and if one of them is having a bad day all the other come out in sympathy. Well, it's not as bad as all that but there used to be a lot of problems with it and as they work on minute voltages, any corrosion/damage throws a big spanner in the works.

New clocks are very expensive but beware of used ones that could well be as bad as yours. Unfortunately there were a couple of years that this was a major problem, and yours is one of them :thumbdown:

Hope you can get it sorted relatively cheaply :)

central (or car) area network, dreadful invention that makes all sensors and sub-systems 'talk' to each other via a central point and if one of them is having a bad day all the other come out in sympathy. Well, it's not as bad as all that but there used to be a lot of problems with it and as they work on minute voltages, any corrosion/damage throws a big spanner in the works.

New clocks are very expensive but beware of used ones that could well be as bad as yours. Unfortunately there were a couple of years that this was a major problem, and yours is one of them :thumbdown:

Hope you can get it sorted relatively cheaply :)

Much obliged :teeth:

CAN = Contoller Area Network. As Southernspeed says these cause no end of problems. They are a great idea but actual implmentations of them in cars/bikes is very hit and miss, especially as they can be used to cut corners. Done right they should allow components to fail and flag it up so you can still use the bike/car, but in reality and due to corner cutting it often causes whole chunks of the bike/car to fail :bang: