Tablet PC

spursmaddave

Now I know this has been discussed before but I have decided my life is not complete without a tablet PC :lol:

Now I have an iPhone but I have ruled out an iPad as it won't be travelling anywhere and they are overpriced imo...

I'm not bothered about the camera etc or memory as it will just be used at home on wifi.

Just seen that the original Motorola Xoom is now just £270, I really had my eye on an Asus ePad but they seem to have held their value :thumbsdown:

Blackberry thing is dirt cheap but I suspect there is a reason for that :lol:

Anyone got any recommendations?

It must have 10.1 screen or larger, run Android 3+ 32gb ideally not bothered about 3G so keeps the cost down so hopefully south if £300.... Cheapest new iPad is £400....

I think the samsung galaxy got some good reviews, worth looking up a comparison. Then if you get one you can let me know what it's like.

Android offers more flexibility than bloody Apple IMHO.

Good luck!

You can get a HP Touchpad on e-bay or google shopping for less than £170, the OS as standard is WebOS which is a fantastic OS and the integration with the your phone, if it's also WebOS is great (i.e: you can call/text from the TP once it's paired to the phone), unfortunately with all the messing about between Palm being useless, HP buying Palm, HP Killing WebOS devices and HP open sourcing WebOS there hasn't been much love from developers and the amount of apps is severely lacking.

However, it is possible to install Android on a TouchPad, in fact, considering you can dual boot between WebOS and Android I think this will be my project for this afternoon! ;)

iPad 2 - £329 for a 16GB now that the new iPad has come out. Apps are better quality, and I can genuinely say we very rarely get any back faulty (i work for Apple, but this is an unbiased opinion i promise!)

Bargain :thumbs:

iPad 2 - £329 for a 16GB now that the new iPad has come out. Apps are better quality, and I can genuinely say we very rarely get any back faulty (i work for Apple, but this is an unbiased opinion i promise!)

Oh i'm an Apple fanboy don't worry but I would be using it mostly for browsing and I wan't to be able to view all the net.

I have about 2 billion apps available on my iPhone but I only use about 20 regularly so I don't think I will notice the difference.

Basically it will be for browsing, connecting to wifi for music / films games etc

I have an HTPC with a 46" screen but I want something to use when Emmerdale is on it :lol:

Tablets are well, sh1t IMO. Very restrictive, I have found the Ipad much better and a more stable platform than the tablet.

And as you know I hate apple stuff, but the iPad knocks socks off the tablets.

Go iPad dave..... :thumbs:

Restrictive in what way Paul :snack: might give you a bell if your not busy....

Bargain? Less memory, smaller screen, probably no OS updates now as with other Apple products to make you get the latest HW.... Oh and dearer :shrug:

I can't see anything that the Xoom won't do that I need/want it too.... The iPad does loads more stuff that I am not bothered about really...

I love Apple but how does a difference of 16gb of ram in an iPad3 warrant an £80 increase...

However, it is possible to install Android on a TouchPad, in fact, considering you can dual boot between WebOS and Android I think this will be my project for this afternoon! ;)

Well I just did this and 15 minutes later I have Android 4 on my HP TouchPad! 5 minutes later and I have BubbleUPNP installed and can use my tablet as a rather fancy remote control for my stereo, browing my music that's stored on the network, choosing what to play and getting it sent to my surround sound system without needing the TV on etc was the main reason I bought it. Happy Bunny.

i got the xoom 2 10.1 for xmas and i love it. i barely ever turn the laptop on anymore. the only gripe i have with it is i cant my movies on there that have a digital download. also there is sometimes a little delay when typing on it.

still really recommend it though :thumbs:

iPad 3 (the new iPad - what a name lol) FTW.

Retina display is lovely. I :cloud9: mine. Not cheap true, but quality. Never liked flash as a technology so I don't miss it.

I must add that I got it as a 47th birthday pressie though :yahoo:

Yes I am an apple fanboy, so biased... :p

I got an iPad 2 for Christmas and I love it. Just use it for surfing the net and visiting the forum... It's perfect. I also watch downloaded movies/tv shows on it that I've downloaded on my laptop.

It's all so quick and seamless that it's just a breeze to use.

I tried a lot of other devices before I got my iPad and none compared in terms of the user interface.

A surprising use I've found for it is taking it to family events and showing my holiday photos/videos etc - everyone loves it!

• 4 weeks later...

SMD any update on how your getting on with the xoom, i'm contemplating getting something. my works laptop is taking a beating as i use it all the time and really need something for internet browsing when at home.

just used a tablet configurator and they reccomended that the following were best suited to my needs in rank order from most appropriate to least was:

Asus Eee Pad Transformer £300

sony tablet S £300

motorola Xoom £250

samsung galaxy tab 10.1 £300

i know very little about them and to be honest the less i spend the better.

any opinions is greatly appreciated :thumbs: