Right to die, locked in syndrome etc

Ekona

Suicide is legal - so someone like PC David Rathband decided that was what he wanted. Very, very sad, but he retained the physical ability to do it.

Tony Nicklinson (that prompted this thread) has decided he wants to end his life, but he phyisically can't.

In America, and no doubt other countries where capital punishment applies, the execution is witnessed with contingenices in place should a reprieve be sanctioned at the last moment. Why then, can't Tony Nicklinson be granted his wish by being asked before the 'act' was underataken if that is what he still wanted as he has the ability to communicate his wish. Witnessed by a senior police officer (and others as necessary) who have had no prior connection with Tony of his family so they can verify in writing that his wish was granted........... dare I say it, as everyone else seems to use it these days, he has been granted his "human rights".

I really don't know how the circumstances where the 'patient' is not able to communicate is helped but I'm simply responding to this latest case and I would have thought it not too difficult for the law to be re-written to cover these situations and dare I say stop the need for a growing number to leave this Country to go Dignitas and the like. What a sad situation that is - you can't end your life you home country (other than by killing yourself) due to Laws that are completely out of touch with reality.

Not a happy subject but I suspect there is a growing support by what I hear discussed in private - that we can keep people alive but if they decide their quality of life has gone their physical incapacity prevents their choice over others seems so unfair. It borders on a breach of equal opportunities in my book and I am certainly no supporter of the PC brigade drum bashers. :shrug:

The effect on family and friends can also devastating and have a great effect on their lives, as I have personally seen. No one likes to see a loved one struggling as pills etc keep them alive - often for many years with both the sufferer and the relatives' quality of life all but evaporated.

You can easily make an advanced directive to state that if situation X happened you do  not want medical treatment even it means you will die. This is legal and practiced every day.

What is been suggested is assisted suicide. Essentially meaning you can give a drug to some one that will stop their heart and not be prosecuted for MURDER on the basis the person receiving the drug has given consent to do so...

Now imagine a 90 year old with mild dementia, living in a nursing home. They on occasionally shout out they want to die but is actually  in good health. They  have a large inheritance to leave behind. The beneficial of the inheritance is in financial difficulty and appears one day and offers to carry out 'assisted suicide' since the patient has requested it! I would hope every one here would realise how dangerous and very real this situation is, if we did a law on 'assisted suicide'.

Before people start arguing about quality of life, remember its all subjective, I've seen people with severe quardapelgia  live quite happily. I am sure some people would argue Steven Hawkin has no quality of life. Indeed Chrisopher Reeve survived and aided medical research for nearly 10 years despite all his medical problems (if you read his book he initially considered suicide but than changed his mind).

Remember guys we are not taking about trivial things like parking fines and emission tests. Really think hard about what you saying, I see people die in front of me on a regular basis can assure you any death no matter the age/illness is a very sad and tragic event. 

The effect on family and friends can also devastating and have a great effect on their lives, as I have personally seen.  No one likes to see a loved one struggling as pills etc keep them alive - often for many years with both the sufferer and the relatives' quality of life all but evaporated.

This is my other fear about assisted suicide, elderly patient who have fought world wars sudden feel like they are a bureden on the family and get pressurised to 'end it all'. Not even worth thinking about. The law as it stands protects the vulnerable, and works on the basis life is precious and should be preserved. Political  correctives has nothing to do with this issue. Any law on assisted suicide WILL be abused, and lead us down a slippery slope.

I understand entirely share your fears gangzoom about where this could lead - but I am relating solely to the case in point that someone says, very clearly, they no longer want to carry on - then their wish should be respected.

PC David Rathband (as an example) had huge support and had said that suicide was not an option, but it seems his life had changed so much he could no longer stand it and ended it. I should think a lot of tears in most households up and down the country were shed when that news was heard, but it was his decision - like it is in Tony Nicklinson's case - and that should be respected, IMHO.