I hate being ripped off.......

Zugara

Just had an mot on my wife's beetle, but it failed due to a headlight being to low.

After unauthorised adjustment, no phone call to ask if I wanted the adjustment carried out, the car passed the mot.

Now, I went to collect the car and was presented with a bill of £16.00 for headlight adjustment :scare:

Needless to say, I was stunned, and I asked how come 1minute adjustment cost so fricking much :angry:

Was told that they charged 1/4 hours labour as a minimum.

That's halfrauds for you :bang:

Hmm, think i found your problem. :wacko:

Only went there cos they were doing mot for £20

And then they did you over for something your local garage would have done for free on a £40 MOT.

I wonder how many cars fail the MOT at these places that offer tempting prices, simply knowing they will make up the shortfall by some "alledged" failing that owners such as you Paul have no way of verifying if it was actually an issue......or not. :dry:

It's the inconsistency that bugs me. The Zed has always passed first time but in 2010 I was issued an advisory that my brakes were 75% worn and at the same garage in 2011 no advisory, same guy did the test as well. I took it to a different garage for the 2012 MOT and once again no advisories :shrug: . When I had a free safety check late last year at a Nissan dealers they said the brakes were 50% worn.

Pete

Just had an mot on my wife's beetle, but it failed due to a headlight being to low.

After unauthorised adjustment, no phone call to ask if I wanted the adjustment carried out, the car passed the mot.

Now, I went to collect the car and was presented with a bill of £16.00 for headlight adjustment :scare:

Check the paperwork and see if that pre-authorises them to any amount. If not, you did not authorise them so they have no right to charge you. Go back and talk to the manager, you might get something back in goodwill ;)

I MOT'd my truck at the local Council place. It's actually next door to where I work.

My friend is an MOT tester but because my Navara is fully loaded it's a Class VII MOT due to weight and he's not allowed to do them.

He said to take it to the council. No advisories, efficient service and no hassle.

I took my sisters car for an MOT at a different Council place and it was much the same.

Check the paperwork and see if that pre-authorises them to any amount. If not, you did not authorise them so they have no right to charge you. Go back and talk to the manager, you might get something back in goodwill ;)

+1 you didn't authorise it and could've done it yourself

Hmm, think i found your problem. :wacko:

Halfords have taken over quite a well known garage in my area and kept on all the old staff, just now the sign on the door is different. Not badly priced considering though for some of the things they do.