Car tax in Italy = cheap cars?

Chesterfield

I dont know if its already been posted before, but what are peoples views on the new bhp tax in Italy? Its noted in Autocar and on pistonheads.

Any vehicle with more than 248bhp is subject to an additional tax on top of the standard road tax for the vehicle. A cool 17 Euros per bhp or about £14 per bhp.

It adds a ridiculous amount to the most powerful cars. A 599GTO has had £5780 added to the annual tax for example. An Aventador £6,200.

It wouldnt surprise me if there were some cut price supercar deals to be had (albeit in left hand drive). There may be a glut of people wanting to shift these cars now as tax levels of that amount are just daft, and they dont just have an effect on top end cars.....

This effectively adds about £1,100 per year to the road tax of a 370Z. Its also been applied retrospectively - so older cars are also subject to it.

The quite frightening thing is that this is just the sort of leftie idea that would probably get voted in here by people who have no clue. It will be another "well if they can afford the car they can afford that tax".

Sales have apparently (and unsurprisingly) fallen off a cliff for higher performance cars.

haha.. well in Denmark we have 180% tax on our cars..

I bought my 350z last year in Germany for 12.000 euros, and i have to pay around 20.000 euros in Tax just to get licens plate on the car.

After that i have the annual tax ( around 1200 euros ) and insurance that is around the same.

u Brits got it cheap cheap when it comes to cars!

I can see a lot of people who can't afford expensive high performance cars seeing it as a good idea and what is wrong with the 'if they can afford the car they can afford the extra tax' argument?

Nobody drives a supercar or even a 350z through necessity but through choice, so I can't see many people feeling sorry for anyone having to give it up :shrug:

Sucks.....

Annoys me......

Any ideas to get extra tax of hard working folks pisses me right off.

No different to coryton oil refinery going into admin, fuel prices went up the next day.

Coryton only supply 20%of fuel to the east coast, and they are still refining crude oil :bang:

So Why hant the ful cost come down?

It won't be long, when the powers here do something stupid like that, no doubt it will be called a "green" tax :yawn:

Maybe they should tax farmers if they have cows, they produce more green house gasses than all UK cars combined.

It's just bollox..... :bang::bang::bang:

I can see a lot of people who can't afford expensive high performance cars seeing it as a good idea and what is wrong with the 'if they can afford the car they can afford the extra tax' argument?

Nobody drives a supercar or even a 350z through necessity but through choice, so I can't see many people feeling sorry for anyone having to give it up :shrug:

Did you buy your 350Z budgeting for £1500 a year in road tax? People live and budget to their means. What about the Ferrari 355 that can be bought for £34k - costs £215 a year to tax, and would now cost £2000.

Lets say they inroduce that system here - every Z owner would be looking at about £1k a year or more increase in road tax. Would we all keep the cars and cough up that each year? I doubt the majority would. And then when they cant be sold, as the market drops through the floor as nobody else wants to pay the £1500 a year, you would be looking at a £15k Z, being worth maybe £8-9k overnight in order to shift it.

So, you either cough up £1k more a year in road tax, sorn it until it maybe blows over, or sell it for a 6/7k loss. But you bought the car, so you can afford it, right?

Never nice to hear this stuff although given the perilous state of the Euro and with Italy supposedely on the brink you know the where the politicians are coming from :shrug:

That said, what pees me off is the retrospective road tax charging at the same level. If were scaled down to reflect the already lost car value then fair enough but for say a 5-year old car to be hit the same as a new one sitting on the showroom floor is wholly unreasonable, IMO.

Did you buy your 350Z budgeting for £1500 a year in road tax? People live and budget to their means. What about the Ferrari 355 that can be bought for £34k - costs £215 a year to tax, and would now cost £2000.

Lets say they inroduce that system here - every Z owner would be looking at about £1k a year or more increase in road tax. Would we all keep the cars and cough up that each year? I doubt the majority would. And then when they cant be sold, as the market drops through the floor as nobody else wants to pay the £1500 a year, you would be looking at a £15k Z, being worth maybe £8-9k overnight in order to shift it.

So, you either cough up £1k more a year in road tax, sorn it until it maybe blows over, or sell it for a 6/7k loss. But you bought the car, so you can afford it, right?

Couldn't agree more with Chesterfields analogy. This is precisely what happened in this country a few years ago when the mad new labour mob led by the loony left social worker brigade, introduced the different levels of VED and made it retrospective, then changed it then made it slightly retro again.

The emission tax did for quite a few marks, one being the old rx8 and probably the 350, making one registered on the 25th of March 2006 or so paying around £220 per year and another registered on the 26th March 2006 £400 odd!!

One became almost impossible to sell and the other the preferred option but without a premium. Don't forget we already have a "showroom tax", adding £750 onto the cost of a 370. Utterly swingeing indiscriminate tax on a car.

The southern Irish introduced something similar a few years ago which makes owning a "sports car", very difficult

All tax, when it comes to cars should be levied at the pump, fair tax for fair usage.

The Italian will probably just ignore it and have an afternoon nap, spark up a ciggie and have a cappacino :thumbs:

Would we all keep the cars and cough up that each year?

Would get rid of mine in a heartbeat :thumbs:

+1 I need to run a car, I choose to run a Zed, if I can't then I won't.

Maybe if I had a Fezza & a Jag & a Zed etc I might feel differently.... :lol:

I would stop taxing mines, use the tax money for a trailer and just tow it to the track

The quite frightening thing is that this is just the sort of leftie idea that would probably get voted in here by people who have no clue. It will be another "well if they can afford the car they can afford that tax".

I don't think any of the political parties have a great record of being motorist friendly. The question is, how are they going to raise revenue when the oil runs out? :shrug:

Pete

I think the 'if they can afford it...' argument is getting a bit lame nowadays, a big majority of people with money have got off their backsides, worked all hours god sends and put more back into this absurd country then most.

Punish people for being motivated and wanting to earn an honest buck and having nice posessions and keeping the economy afloat but reward people for sitting on their arse and sponging off the state..

I read a story in the paper the other day, A guy and his Missus had about 10 kids and no jobs, they purely relied on government credits etc. For this guy to match the same income from the benefits he received he would have to earn £50k a year. Just not going to happen, where is the incentive for this bloke to provide for his family, he would be lucky to get a £15k a year job.. I don't blame the guy one bit, would I go to work all week to be £35k a year worse off - no chance !!!

I hate talking politics, I get all flustered :blush:

If they brought the same in over here, the zed and the fezza would go instantly. the resultant saving would go on a holiday for the family, including probably hundreds to Disney or some other none UK business or company.

The UK revenue would receive next to zero and i would just enjoy life with my son rather than with the cars.

Italy would do well to actually put the effort into pursuing income tax payments rather than taking the easy way out with car taxes and puting hundreds of ferrari/maserati factory jobs at stake. But their politicians are probably as lazy as half the workforce which got them into this pickle in the first place.

Doing the maths, that would equate to a RFL cost for me of just over £1900 a year, or roughly 4x what I pay now. The really sad/mad thing is that I'd pay without missing a beat. I love my cars so much that they will have to prise my keys from my cold dead hands before I give up the stuff I really love.

I can't say that it wouldn't hurt to lose that money, but I'd find a way.