Tweaking the standard diff

trackpig

Hi all,

I have used the Z on track and have often thought the standard diff could do with a bit more lock up to help get the power down out of tighter corners.

I am not talking about fitting aftermarket diffs or welding the diff, I want the car to be usable on the road and track.

I came across a thread that details the process of adding a shim to a viscous diff to help transmit more drive to the wheel with more grip.

http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/200226-sh ... -vlsd.html

Any info, experience or views?

Never run a shimmed diff myself but know people who have, it definitely works if you get it done properly. TBH I find my diff locks pretty hard, Id probably only consider replacing it with a plated diff if I was looking to upgrade personally as its then 100% predictable :)

Hmm let us know how you get on if you do! Thinking of taking my zed drifting so might well consider adding a shim for more diff lock up myself :thumbs:

The standard diff is surprisingly good for drifting, Id try with that first and if you want something harder make the change then :)