Living with an Slk

Zugara

Ok, where do I start.

After problems with my beloved zed that no one could sort out, I decided to sell up to avoid impending financial heart ache. I trawled the web and eventually found a mrecedes slk 200,one owner with only 31k on the clock and fmsh. Took it out for a test drive but wasn't a patch on the zed, but still it was a replacement car for the interim.

Having lived with the car for nearly six months and driven a poultry 2500 miles in it this is my report.

Great build quality with nice soft touch interior. Well appointed controls and steering wheel controls for various things, radio, trip etc. being an auto, it sometimes gets confused as to which gear to select at the appropriate time, which, when overtaking it fricking annoying. No dropping down a few gears and giving it beans. Oh no, overtaking is an on the spot, "risk assessment". So this is a negative on the slk. Gear box is undecisive at critical moments.

As its a fairly light car, going round roundabouts is or can be "fun" especially when the roads are damp or icy. However the ESP, kicks in, auto box drops down and we are back on the straight and narrow. So a semi positive for the Slk.

To get the best, loosely termed, out of the engine and gearbox combo, you really need to rag the arse of the car, this is where it really turned into a zed eating monster, unleash the beast within.....NOT!

The ride,

Well I would liken it to being tortured, really yes. Within 10 mins of driving it, I have such a bad pain in my right leg and buttock, I need to adjust my seating position for temporary relief, then it's back. So a huge negative here.

The drive,

Suitable for short journeys, quite refined with regard to lumps and bumps in the road, which it soaks up quite well. No drama here.

Servicing costs,

£200 for a mid level service. £450 for a full service at an indy. So relative to a zed I suppose.

Fuel,

Well all I can say is, the zed was better on mpg. 1800cc supercharged is way more thirsty that the zed was. Even driving like, slow, it's rubbish with mpg.

So in summary

It's a sh1t car. IMO :lol:

I cant fault anything in your assessment, same as my old mans old one. Lovely interior when you look and touch it, but the seats arent half as comfortable as they look. Engine doesnt have much go and the gearbox is shocking! We headed over to Swindon in our old one as a "treat" before I had the Zed, and it refused to give me any gears when trying to pull out into a rounderbout until about 2 seconds after I hit the accelerator! Some brown pants moments ensued and needless to say I never left it in auto after that!

The Zed, with its lower rate interior, is far superior in almost all the ways that are important! :drive1

Can you not select gears with buttons/paddles?

SLGay isn't a light car, a small engine (even sc'd) is going to struggle to pull it along.

Well dan, she is light on the back end ;) slippy as a box of eels.

No paddles on mine, gear change is left and right on the selector gear stick, but it's just useless.

5speed auto and 4 speed manual. Gear ratio is shocking when in manual selection.

I test drove a 200 when trying to decide between that and the zed.

The most obvious thing was that there were no guts at all in the merc and I asked the local dealer if he could get a 350slk ........ still waiting :lol: ....... there was me having ready cash and he just ignored me ...... unbelievable :bang:

I know I made the right choice in the end though :teeth:

I have to say as a former MB Leeds Employee, it was the car I was the most disappointed in when working my way through the range. However it proved the maxim, that Mercedes do not do small well. those Komprssor engines are awful, but the minute you drop a big lumpy unit in to any of the range you have a cracking car.

So sorry this hasn’t worked out for you, and I can understand why you bought it in the first place.

It’s all good experience (albeit and expensive one!) :headhurt:

Should have got a Z4 matey - awful ride quality but ace everything else.

Returned a sprightly 27mpg with some mixed driving over the last week. B)

I'm not sure if your car is different but all BMW I've known over read mpg by about 2-4mpg so just be aware lol.

Should have got a Z4 matey - awful ride quality but ace everything else.

Returned a sprightly 27mpg with some mixed driving over the last week. B)

I'm not sure if your car is different but all BMW I've known over read mpg by about 2-4mpg so just be aware lol.

wouldn't surprise me! :lol: