Pros and Cons of 18's, 19's and 20's

captint

Ok Chaps

As part of my ever lasting program of modifaction (of at least buying), wheels are now coming to a head, so I need to clarfify some wheel issues

If I stay 18, then I am looking at 285/40 on the rear and 245/40 on the front, car will be lowered

If I go 19, will be the same

If I had 20's Im guessing this could be an issue and am I right in thinking 20's are really only for aesthetic value anyway.

I how the extra width may effect the turning circle of the car, but will it effect the handling too much, and if I have 19's will this make it even worse.

Will be using the car on the ring (all other required mods will be done) but wheels is a sticking point

Chars

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

remember depending on the wheel and different sizes and weights the rotational weight of the wheels can decrease performance. Id' personally say go with 19'' RAYS and make sure they are still light to compliment all your performance mods.

I think I can get the Nismos for $2300 in the US, so roughly £1156 smackers, is this a good deal compared to the UK price

Stealers :rant: do Nismo 19s for 1100 sheets...although this may or may not include VAT...and all the other little monetary add-ons they like to give you. :angry:

http://www.nissan.co.uk/home/vehicles/passenger/Z33/accessories/index.html

Don't know what widths these are right enough 8.5 front 9.5 rears??

Ross

Aesthetically, I've gone for 19"s but if you intend to use the car as a track tool you want to stick with 18" forged rims too keep weight down. Volks/Nismos would probably be the way to go but there are other forged rims around in an 18". Depends on your priorities, mate. :)

If you are going on the track occasionally, which would entail a certain amount of abuse on alloys & tyres, I would definetley have two sets of wheels. One set of 17" standard JDM or even 16" cheap lightweight rims with good tyres with a good profile e.g 45/or 50 profile. Then another set for everyday posing situations! These IMO would be best in 19" or if you want to be daring even 20"!! But thats just my 2p's worth ;)

ps also 2nd set good for winters for grip in snow etc & to protect your expensive set from salt corrosion

If you are going on the track, which would entail a certain amount of abuse on alloys & tyres, I would definetley have two sets of wheels. One set of 17" standard JDM or even 16" cheap lightweight rims with good tyres with a good profile e.g 45/or 50 profile. Then another set for everyday posing situations! These IMO would be best in 19" or if you want to be daring even 20"!! But thats just my 2p's worth ;)

Yep, 2 sets seems to be another sensible option if the funds are there. :thumbs:

My ten pence for what is worth... and to give another perspective...

Rather than agreeing with the above I am going to throw a few spanners in the work to give more points for discussion.

In my honest opinion...

20" Wheels (rating in "stars")

Styling: *****, definetely the way to go.

Performance: *, Completely No good, for too many reasons, many already mentioned above...

19" Wheels

Styling: ****, definetely will enhance the look of the car

Performance : ***, with Std suspension could enhance track performance, but deteriorate UK normal road performance.

18" Wheels

Styling **, No change, though some 18" can give the appearance of larger rims...

Performance: In std. format, Ok on smooth track ( I guess), and Not really ideal on UK ROAD

Now then

If you combine any of the above with lowering... with the majority of kits you effectively reduce the suspension travel and harden the damping force, so at uk (normal) road speed the ride comfort will be decreased and make handling more difficult (where do you spend most of your time???...) . And the lower the profile the tyre the less suspension effect you get from the tyre wall. And I won't go into fuel economy etc...

20" & lowering = completely :thumbdown: unless you are going to park in at shows only...

regarding the nurburgring, i have seen the photos and heard the reviews from mates..,. it is not a race track, smooth. It is a toll road used for racing around by most car companies and race enthusiasts... and everyone realises it is a fast road...not very well maintained.... as such I have heard that lowering suspension, big alloys, etc... makes you look good but does not make you faster.

A good example is that DUKE dvd on Skyline (HALFORD...I got it) and there is a guy with an untra cool high powered R34 and lowered, and this "ringmeister" said it was difficult to drive due to this ...

(this is the ring meister who set the record of the fastest production car lap around the ring in a R34 STANDARD set up...)

My opinion...( for what it's worth...) go for 19" and slightly wider rubber , don't lower it ( does it really look raised as std?? :dry: but find yourself a set of dampers that are maybe a spot softer that standard (Bilsteins do some... and TEIn could be tuned for that.) and keep the current springs...

(Stiffer springs will harden the ride, and make the tyres bounce off bumps too much...the original ones feel ok I think it is the damping that is too hard). This will mean you will keep the tyres more time in contact with the track, allowing you to put the power down effectively...

so long as you don't drastically reduce the damping it will not affect the overall feel and performance of the car and it will make living with it, day-by-day a lot better.

but that's my opinion... ( also reccomend to watch that skyline DVD from halfords... ) you'll see what I mean about stiff lowered cars around the 'ring...

Thanks Zzzz

I have got Tein Super Streets and will have them set up with EDFC, so that I can alter the ride Height. I was reading an article in EVO where the the matey was taking a Roadster round the track. He said that with better sus, brakes and possibly an s/c, the car would make an awesome ring taxi

19's wont fill the arches more as the overal diameter does not change imho

He's right but they do give the impression that the arches are filled better because there's more wheel, less tyre in profile.

IIRC 285s on the rear may be a problem depending upon your rim width and particularly if you lower. You will probably have to roll or cut the arches for clearance. :scare: