Waterproof your mobile phone

EH 370z

For some reason this smells to me. The key reason why electronic devices don't get on with water is because the water that gets into the device short circuits the chips and thereby breaks them. According to those guys, this coating is extremely thin and will therefore not form a solid enough layer to stop water getting near the circuits. The presumption is that the entire circuit is covered with this stuff and therefore water can't get to it.

BUT: They claim that your earphone jack will still work. Hence a current can still pass through this layer. Hence any water will still get in and short circuit your device.

All sounds like a pile of rubbish to me.

For some reason this smells to me. The key reason why electronic devices don't get on with water is because the water that gets into the device short circuits the chips and thereby breaks them. According to those guys, this coating is extremely thin and will therefore not form a solid enough layer to stop water getting near the circuits. The presumption is that the entire circuit is covered with this stuff and therefore water can't get to it.

BUT: They claim that your earphone jack will still work. Hence a current can still pass through this layer. Hence any water will still get in and short circuit your device.

All sounds like a pile of rubbish to me.

Looks like the stuff they are showcasing at CES atm. Its a nano coating, which is water-resistant as Rich points out. I think they showed that products treated with it (inside and out) can be put into 1m of water for upto 1hr and not be damaged.

Not sure how long it would take for the coating to wear off though :headhurt:

Looks like the stuff they are showcasing at CES atm. Its a nano coating, which is water-resistant as Rich points out. I think they showed that products treated with it (inside and out) can be put into 1m of water for upto 1hr and not be damaged.

Not sure how long it would take for the coating to wear off though :headhurt:

thats more water resistnat than water proof,

its still not a sealed unit, so if you drop it in the bog for a long enough period water will still get into the circuits.

It has been shown in a glass of water!

I dont understand it hence the post. Wierd isnt it?

thats more water resistnat than water proof,

its still not a sealed unit, so if you drop it in the bog for a long enough period water will still get into the circuits.

It has been shown in a glass of water!

I dont understand it hence the post. Wierd isnt it?

Its a nano-coating they soak the phone in, so all surfaces of it are covered. So the phone itself is not sealed, but everything making up the phone is. So they can dunk it in water and its happy as larry, but not convinced I'd be wanting to test it out!

Its a nano-coating they soak the phone in, so all surfaces of it are covered. So the phone itself is not sealed, but everything making up the phone is. So they can dunk it in water and its happy as larry, but not convinced I'd be wanting to test it out!

For nearly £70 you would think it would come with somesort of warrenty?

For nearly £70 you would think it would come with somesort of warrenty?

Yeah I'm sure it will, but the specs I saw for it were the 1hr@1m of water, not sure how they can tell how deep you've had something and for how long? I can see them just refusing to honour it. Will be better if OEMs start using it, I think you could trust them to honour the warranty better. I think its really just to splash proof things like phones and tablets to they dont die if you drop them in the sink/puddle/toilet/etc

Yeah I'm sure it will, but the specs I saw for it were the 1hr@1m of water, not sure how they can tell how deep you've had something and for how long? I can see them just refusing to honour it. Will be better if OEMs start using it, I think you could trust them to honour the warranty better. I think its really just to splash proof things like phones and tablets to they dont die if you drop them in the sink/puddle/toilet/etc

i agree its more like a quick retreval system, in case of accidents, or spillages etc.

i agree its more like a quick retreval system, in case of accidents, or spillages etc.

...what does it matter how deep and how long it's resistant for? if it stops your phone breaking if you drop it in the sink then thats enough for me. In what possible scenario would your device be under more than 1M of water for more than an hour anyway??

...what does it matter how deep and how long it's resistant for? if it stops your phone breaking if you drop it in the sink then thats enough for me. In what possible scenario would your device be under more than 1M of water for more than an hour anyway??

you've been at the pool side on holiday had your phone out and while you've gone in for some lunch one of the kids accidently kicks your phone into the pool without noticing. its a good 45 minutes before you come out and realise whats happened. but thankfully its in the shallow end at only a metre deep ;)

you've been at the pool side on holiday had your phone out and while you've gone in for some lunch one of the kids accidently kicks your phone into the pool without noticing. its a good 45 minutes before you come out and realise whats happened. but thankfully its in the shallow end at only a metre deep ;)

****. :lol::lol:

****. :lol::lol: