Round Britain Rally (How about something like it?)

Zzzz...

I have heard from a biker mate about this Round Britain Rally EVENT

http://www.roundbritainrally.co.uk/about.htm

The basic outline :

1. You register, and pay.

2. You get a list of locations and Points of Interest hidden by a series of statements (a bit of detective work required)

3. You guess the location, you go there you take a photo of your bike at the point of interest with yourself in the photo ans stamp the card with the relevant Location

4. Each location has different scores ( depending on difficulty location etc... )

5. End of the year you get a final winner with loads of nice places visited.

Don't you think this would be a great idea for cars also? perhaps a "Round Britain Rally with my Zed"

Everyone can go there by themselves, in their own time.

It is bit competitive, because you want to show off where you have been, and the score.

You get to see some beautiful places in England, Scotland and Wales.

It can generate random "meets" if several people land in the same point of interest at once... (nice surprise...)

-Have you guys heard of anything like this for CARS?

I think it is over a whole year...

Some of the jounreys take you the the most northern parts of the scotland and the western-est side of wales...etc...

so you have to take weekends to do them and if there is 80 sites ... you'll need a year at least to go through the whole list...

I am tempted to ask the organisers if they'll handover last years list maybe free, and we could give it a go?

If not it might be possible to generate something similar by ourselves...

• 2 weeks later...

WELL HELLO THERE!

I have some good news (well I hope you will be interested...)

I spoke to the guy organising the round britain rally and he has agreed to let me have last years rally itinerary for use this year by the 350z-uk.com forum...

In his words:

Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:14 PM

To: Subject: Re: 2007 RBR registration

Some 3 or 4 year ago we thought of running the "Round Britain Tour" for cars. I wrote to numerous car clubs and magazines but not one was decent enough to even reply. That's their loss.

If you and your friends want to have a go attached is last year landmark list.

Come back to me with what you decide what to do.

If there are more than 6 people who want to have a go. I will be happy to administer it and more importantly mark the photos at the end as I have the proofs.

David

SOOOOOOO!!!

how about it? do you fancy taking part? It will be free this year, but if it becomes popular I think we have to give David the right to administer and maybe charge some fee to give the routes etc...( after all he does spend time and effort organising this event.)

So the rules would be simple:

1. You register interest.

2. I send you the landmark list

3. Then it is up to you which landmarks you choose, but each has a value.

4. You go there with your ZED, you take a photo with your zed and the landmark ( where possible, for ones which are impossible to access by car ( we can print a 350x-uk logo and RBR logo A4 sheet and take a photo of you and the A4 poster)

5. You keep a track of all your photos and "expected" score.

6. If there are more than 6 people, David Agreed to review the photos against the photo proofs he holds, and give a final score!

7. Winner gets the Recognition of being the best travelled ZED in UK, ...

I see this as an opportunity for :

1. Random meets ( maybe 2 or 3 ZED meet at the same landmark by accident and have a good old chat?)

2. Gives you a good excuse for a good drive to some very nice parts of England Scotland and Wales.

3. Whilst there is a scoring this will be only to encourage you to go more places.

Anyway, the landmark list has

51 landmarks in England

20 in Scotland

13 in Wales

Maximum score available 1800points.

(Scottish and Welsh landmarks generally score higher due to the distances involved in some of them...)

IF you are interested let me know and what I can do is set a start date as the 1st of MARCH. and run until the end of Aug-Sept.

For those who show interest and are really keen their names will be recorded in this thread, and I will email the landmark list.

Come sept, I can collect and send back to David and get official SCORES.

So ... put your name down... you know you want to... :thumbs:

:yahoo:

good on ya', as you say do as many as you want... and you never know some "southerners" might be encourage to go up north, and have a bit of a "scottish meet" , and cover a few in one go...

I am thinking also we could post the photos online and "wet" peoples interest...

I will definetely do some of the most northerly scottish runs, as I have always wanted to go up to the most "northern" place in UK...and this is a good excuse...

174 views, only 4 names down...

maybe not a great idea to try and doo a "round britain rally" in a car that drinks 99RON gallons every 20 miles or so... :blush:

Anyway I intend to put a lot of miles on my zed

( sod the re-sale value...I bought my ZED knowing it will be a loss maker, but fun super-accumulator...).

I will let you guys know where I am heading, and that pint, up in aberdeen, and john o'groats is definetely on...soon... ;)B)