Home audio and kids

Daryl

Im looking at taking the plunge with a home theatre system for the new house we move into in March. Looking at the B+W 685 system,on stand mounts. As this is going to be our family home,my mrs has said that there will be kids and toddlers (several of our friends are having babies) around the house. My argument is that the kids wont be allowed near my stuff,but she says i wont have a choice! :rant:

How easy do speakers come off of their stands? Was thinking of dual locking them down or something,so they dont come off.

I've a pair of bookshelf speakers of a similar size (Kef iQ60s) for the rears on my setup, and I've attached them to their stands very well so that the speakers won't come off the stands, but that still means that the stands can be knocked over and take cables etc with them. Nothing I can do about that, but as they are rear speakers they're right at the back of the room and hard to get to in the first place.

Aside from nailing everything down, you can only do so much sadly. :(

All good advice. I spent a good 5 grand on my home theatre a while back and had the same worries. I went for wall mounted rear speakers and heavy floor standing front ones, to avoid stands. Stands are very wobbly at the best of times, esp if you want to get the rear speakers at the correct height. You can fill em with sand and stuff which can help a bit. I also hid the wires, but didnt put the seperates on a shelf - which meant toddlers and kids (and even the cat) promptly felt it was a toy where they could press every button on.

I've got some M&S Dipole speakers (5kg each) as my rear surrounds mounted on some pretty solid speaker stands, and lots of effort to hide speaker wire etc...even so when we had some friends over within 5 mintues the 5 year old had some how managed to dig out the calibration mic for my Denon AVR, unpluged my network drive and started to play with the ethernet cable :headhurt: Luckly she didn't go near any speakers but I had visions of a very squashed 5 year old along side some broken speakers.....

When ever me and wife decide to have kids the cinema room is going to be well and truely out of bounds :)

Sorry for slow reply,yesterday was manic.

Iv asked if i can put cable in the wall,and was told no,but i can run cable under our new floor that she wants installed before we move in. Was thinking that i could get away with stand mounts,and just make every precaution possible to make sure they are reasonably safe.

Scew the mounts to the floor? As the others have said, AV stands arent known for their child friendliness, they can topple over easily, especially with not so light speakers on them.

Will you be decorating when you move in? Will be easier and neater to chase the cable into the wall while you are doing that (when its a mess anyway), worth the effort in the long run. I know the battle you will be having, I had the same with my missus. But after chasing our rear speaker cables into the wall, she decided it was so neat that we should do the front ones too! :doh::lol:

No not decorating when we move in,probably be 6months a year before we do. At which point i will pusg to put the cable in the wall,and mount the speakers there. But being so big,im abit worried they will look stupid mounted to the wall. In which case i should go for the Bose Satellite system,as they are small,and easy to mount on the wall. But they are not what i want.