Boardwalk Empire

EH 370z

I rarely wax lyrical about a TV show, but I think this is quite possibly the best series I have ever seen.

I was addicted to series 1, and couldn’t wait for series 2. After just completing the final episode last night, I was concerned that the second series wouldn’t be as good as the first. It didn’t disappoint.

The attention to detail with the sets and costumes (even the language) was of movie standard throughout.

Notable performances from Steve Buscemi who’s portrayal never failed to entertain, and the moody self-loathing of Michael Pitt’s character, stood out amongst a fantastic cast.

The noticeable thing about these high budget HBO offerings, is the detail and depth of the characters. Like Tony Soprano, you are constantly torn between sympathy and hatred of the characters, which keeps you re-evaluating your expectations of these highly layered individuals.

It was also interesting to see a perspective of the impact of WW1 on American culture, leading to the conflicts and over reactions, in a changing society which was torn by Victorian ideologies and battle hardened veterans, who were so mentally unbalanced by their experiences, violence was a natural release. The close proximity to the war and the rise of the classic gangster film, was something that I hadn’t really considered until this series.

In closing, if you haven’t had the opportunity to see either series, and you like well written sex, violence and bad language. This is the series for you!

If you are currently engaged, please listen to the closing credits music, on the last episode of series 2. I couldn’t believe it !!!

I absolutely love this program, i cant get enough of it! The actors in it are spot on and play their roles exceptionally well. I just watched the last episode of series 2 this morning, Jimmy is my favourite character. I think Al Capone (played by Stephen Graham) will feature more in series 3. Amazing program i urge anyone who's into the American gangster era to watch this series. :thumbs:

i have about 3 episodes of season 2 to watch, i'm just struggling to find the enthusiasm to watch them. they are good, but i find the plot a little slow moving

You should like my girlfriend, she got bored half way through, dropped Sopranos after 4 seasons because it was too slow, I think she lasted 1 season of The Wire :lol: that said I know what you mean, it's slow but I find it good none the less.

i have about 3 episodes of season 2 to watch, i'm just struggling to find the enthusiasm to watch them. they are good, but i find the plot a little slow moving

You should like my girlfriend, she got bored half way through, dropped Sopranos after 4 seasons because it was too slow, I think she lasted 1 season of The Wire :lol: that said I know what you mean, it's slow but I find it good none the less.

I got half way through the 2nd season of the wire before ditching it :lol: Sopranos, I can watch multiple times though B)

Only seen snippets of boardwalk, may have a look at it over the weekend :thumbs:

I got half way through the 2nd season of the wire before ditching it :lol: Sopranos, I can watch multiple times though B)

Only seen snippets of boardwalk, may have a look at it over the weekend :thumbs:

Me to, ive watched sopranos through end to end about 5 times. I just got back from New York yesterday, and while i was there I went on The Sopranos tour...! If you're a fan of the show it's well worth going... It was a 5 hour tour taking in the various locations from the series, finishing up with drinks at the Bada Bing where I had several tequilas with the bing girls... :blush:

...also sat in the booth at Holstens where the final scenes were filmed... It was great.

Me and Vito...:

100_0246.jpg

Booth from final episode:

100_0300.jpg

... As for boardwalk empire and the wire, I only managed the first 3 episodes of each, I too found it too slow!