Fuel Guage Issue

II485947

Hi guys,

On top of my many issues with the Z atm I have a fuel gauge that is not accurate. It can drop about 1/4 of a tank from what the level actually is and when it gets to the last 100 miles or so of fuel left, it regularly show absolute zero even when there is plenty of fuel left.

I've had a new fuel sender (As I was told this would fix it) but it has made no difference.

Has anyone had a problem like this?

Any help appreciated.

L

Mine is exactly the same and the fuel computer goes mad as well.

I've had mine say 15 miles left when I've only done 180 miles off a tank driving steady where I would normally get 300.

Then within a mile it can change back to 100 miles left, its stupid, really does my head in :bang:

I've also had the sutuation where it swears i'm on empty, go to the garage and it will only take 40 litres. I just ignore it now and fill up after 280 miles.

If someone knew how to fix it I would be stoked to say the least!

Mine is a bit more scary, works perfectly fine above quarter a tank, then stops on quarter tank...until I have less than 5 miles in it then it just drops into and past the red and I get all sorts of warnings flashing up at me.

I guess something blocks it at quarter tank, so probably needs looking at, I hear getting it out though is a bit of a 'mare?

At the moment my solution is just to go to the petrol station as soon as it stalls at a quarter tank!

If you make long right hand turns ie multiple laps of roundabouts :ninja: with the fuel level below half the needle will drop by about 1/4 along with the range.

The zeds fuel tank sits accoss the whole car & is moulde over the prop shaft so fuel can gather to one side during alot of cornering this giving a false reading

I have sender units in stock. They are complete with fuel pump and housing so It's a simple remove and replace job. If the guage is still not reading correct it may be wiring issue as colin said. Did you receive your old parts back when you had the sender changed? :thumbs:

Mine is a bit more scary, works perfectly fine above quarter a tank, then stops on quarter tank...until I have less than 5 miles in it then it just drops into and past the red and I get all sorts of warnings flashing up at me.

Thats bad! Id definately go by your trip counter rather than the gauge until you get it fixed.

Mines fine, although I notice it does seem to change its mind about how much fuel is left quite a bit. Usually when its down to the last 1/4. It will start of showing nearly red, then about 10miles later it now thinks theres 1/4 tank in it. I figured mine was trying to adjust depending on how i was driving, i.e. harder driving and it would drop to the red, but slower driving and it seems to realise the fuel will last longer and adjust the gauge readout accordingly.

Mines fine, although I notice it does seem to change its mind about how much fuel is left quite a bit. Usually when its down to the last 1/4. It will start of showing nearly red, then about 10miles later it now thinks theres 1/4 tank in it. I figured mine was trying to adjust depending on how i was driving, i.e. harder driving and it would drop to the red, but slower driving and it seems to realise the fuel will last longer and adjust the gauge readout accordingly.

Thats exactly what mine does, fine until you get to a quarter of a tank left then the fuel computer and the gauge just do whatever they want, currently I've done 80 miles, fuel computer predicts 260 left and the gauge says 3/4 full so it works right until you get low down.

I did notice when I had the Car UpReved the fuel computer and gauge starting working correctly again for about 3 months then went mad again. Why that would make a difference I have no idea :shrug:

The fuel computer does the same thing, says I have say 80 miles then as I am driving it will start losing a mile every ten seconds or so when the gauge drops.

...Darren, going around roundabouts, does it do the same thing if you are going around them sideways ;);)

No I didn't get my old parts back when I had my sender changed.

I've been counting my miles to keep track of my fuel too, but I don't like doing that. It's annoying. And I've been caught out once and ran out of petrol.

I don't like filling my tank right up as I had a fuel tank split before, it would be nice to get it sorted but no one seems to have a clue! One garage actually said 'that's just the way they are' It was fine for the first 5 years I had it so something gone wrong!

L

I am now in the habit of sticking in about 35/40 quids worth everytime it hits quarter of a tank.

Doesnt fill it up (goes to about just under 3/4s) but also I never have the car running on vapour either - so I suppose its good refuelling practice!

I am now in the habit of sticking in about 35/40 quids worth everytime it hits quarter of a tank.

Doesnt fill it up (goes to about just under 3/4s) but also I never have the car running on vapour either - so I suppose its good refuelling practice!

If I did that id be filling it up nearly every day. I tend to refill at about 330 miles and that works out at about 75->85quid. I could probably get a few more miles out of it, but dont like to run it on empty.

Found this on the G35 forum, the fix probably won't be exactly the same but similar.

I may have to do some investigating....

http://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/2439 ... ost4951116

Will let you know how I get on if and when I do this and post some pics, the same tank of petrol as I mentioned previously now states 205 miles done, 31 to go and the needle is now sitting right on the bottom with the fuel light on. Stupid thing :bang:

Well further update the fuel computer showed - - - - yesterday at 235 miles and the gauge was right below the red line with the orange light beaming at me.

So I drove around and got it to 280 miles before I started to think I should probably fill it up, I didn't want to risk running out and causing a traffic jam. I had considered running it right down to empty and keep 5 litres in the boot to get me to a garage but figured this would dredge all the sludge into the fueld system so decided against that. I brimmed it when I filled up this morning so it was right to the top above the valve in the filler neck and the fuel gauge only went up to 3/4 full, useless.

Then I drove the further 1.5 miles to work and it climbed to halfway between 3/4 and Full.

I'm planning to get inside the tank over xmas and have a play with the multimeter to find what signal is coming of the level sensor. However, I have now been told there are two fuel level sensors on the Zed one behind the passenger seat built onto the pump and one behind the drivers seat - not sure if this is true but I will feedback my investiagtion results when sorted.

My fuel gauge is equally random. Started with half a tank this morning, drove ten miles on the motorway (at the speed limit in 6th!) and it dropped to quarter tank, then ten miles later it was up to nearly half a tank again.

Be good if you could post pics of your investigations Steve, before I go forking £150 for a fuel sender unit would like to see if its just a case of cleaning/manipulating the current one.

• 2 weeks later...

Clean the hinge? What hinge? Sorry lost me.

There are two senders one behind the passenger seat under the false floor in the glove box, stand alone unit and one under the sub attached to the fuel pump.

The pump one is a pita due to limited working space but basically you have to remove both units and clean the variable resistor contacts I used contact cleaner and those ear cleaner things cotton wool on a stick

Have to be careful not to get petrol on the big O rings as they change shape if you do, I buggared one up so need to get a new one.

I've only had it 'fixed' two days so still making sure it is fixed but all seems good at the moment.

Passenger side sender gave readings of 0 - 50 when resistance was checked with a multimeter. Driver side one ran from 0-32 then jumped to 175 but then changed frequently between 70-200 without Changing position of float every second or so, after cleaning this seemed to fix the random readings and also ran 0-50.

Why there are two senders, one in each half of the tank I have no idea..... A guide will follow.