This head unit any good?

WINKJ

James, ignore the mosfet bit, it's borderline irrelevant.

50w is the peak out, again, ignore this rating on all headunits, it's irrelevant. Real world output will be ~10w/channel at best.

The SQ won't be any worse than the Bose, JVCs tend to be pretty decent, Alpine and Pioneer are also worth a look.

Looks like a good price for an all in one headunit, depends whether you're looking for high SQ or a multimedia unit?

Have always heard good things about the JVC units - I think the 830 is going pretty cheap now as well?

Caraudiosecurity, I know a few guys on an Astra forum I was on used them previously and they were all happy with the service.

thanks for the feedback guys! really appreciate it.

I am looking for a bit of both really, its a good price, I just dont want to spend 300 on it and it be any worse or no better than the toaster thats currently in the Z.

Multimedia wise its pretty cool, is there anything i can do to improve the SQ without changing speakers?

50w is the peak out, again, ignore this rating on all headunits, it's irrelevant. Real world output will be ~10w/channel at best.

The SQ won't be any worse than the Bose, JVCs tend to be pretty decent, Alpine and Pioneer are also worth a look.

Looks like a good price for an all in one headunit, depends whether you're looking for high SQ or a multimedia unit?

+1 you cant seem to get a good sq based multimedia system. Ive used JVC in my last 2 cars and really liked them. I personally if you can would would for the 8xx series. Also try caraudiodirect you can usually get a bit of discount of them and postage isnt stupid at £8 or something.

BUT if your buying a new headunit purely to add quality to the bose system you might be disapointed. The source unit isnt going to be 100x better then the bose cd player. Espically since to you will probably keep using the bose amp. If your that disapointed in the bose it needs to come out, all of it.

+1 you cant seem to get a good sq based multimedia system. Ive used JVC in my last 2 cars and really liked them. I personally if you can would would for the 8xx series. Also try caraudiodirect you can usually get a bit of discount of them and postage isnt stupid at £8 or something.

BUT if your buying a new headunit purely to add quality to the bose system you might be disapointed. The source unit isnt going to be 100x better then the bose cd player. Espically since to you will probably keep using the bose amp. If your that disapointed in the bose it needs to come out, all of it.

+lots

I changed my HU first mainly for multimedia and it wasn't an amazing difference in SQ but I had satnav, proper iPod control etc etc then I changed all 4 speakers and amped then seperate to the Bose and WOW.... I still ran them with the Bose sub and attached amp until recently which was ok but now with that changed too it is much better still.

So basically change the HU for functionality, but be prepared to have to change speakers and amp them to get any huge difference in SQ :thumbs:

+lots

I changed my HU first mainly for multimedia and it wasn't an amazing difference in SQ but I had satnav, proper iPod control etc etc then I changed all 4 speakers and amped then seperate to the Bose and WOW.... I still ran them with the Bose sub and attached amp until recently which was ok but now with that changed too it is much better still.

So basically change the HU for functionality, but be prepared to have to change speakers and amp them to get any huge difference in SQ :thumbs:

Great responses guys - much clearer now! I will get up some pics once its done, but for now I will most likely go for the HU (not to improve SQ, i just don't want it to get any worse) but to improve ipod etc, it cant be any worse than an ipod ---> cassette lead! haha

If you want to make the bose sound great without using new amps/speakers then go Alpine with Imprint.

Still won't make a huge difference :thumbsdown:

I disagree, i had this setup before fitting my JL gear and it was night and day difference for the better and i was only using the default imprint settings.

If you want to make the bose sound great without using new amps/speakers then go Alpine with Imprint.

Still won't make a huge difference :thumbsdown:

I disagree, i had this setup before fitting my JL gear and it was night and day difference for the better and i was only using the default imprint settings.

True anything is better than the Bose but night and day is going a bit far, no amount of wizardry is going to turn the bose amp & speakers into a decent setup

A difference yes, but as i said not a huge one, and for the price of an alpine unit with imprint you would be better off spending the money on the amp & speakers but each to their own