Home service

AmyZed

Hey all,

Just a quick question, My Zed was last serviced in Feb, it has full year by year NISSAN service history.... I would like to get the oil changed now though, as i feel it could probably do with that! I cant afford to go to Nissan for a full service and my friend who is great with cars and has offered to do it. I trust him with my car...

Apart from Oil, what else should I ask him to do!? Spark Plugs too?

Is there anything on the long service list that I really should change too? Sorry if this seems a silly question..... I know its lame i cant afford a proper full service, but it is in my mind and i am very conscious of looking after the car!

I will look at the service history and see for myself what Nissan do each year too for some research on the car... but thought you lot would be best to ask.... Im sure some of you service them yourselves! ?

:)

thank you ...

I service my cars and my mates and did the P1 on my zed a few weeks back.

In the book the P1 is just oil + filter. Cost less than 30quid from my local car accessory place. Its an easy job. Only pain is getting the undertray off from under the car in order to get to the oil filter. Its not hard, but a bit time consuming.

As a matter of course you should be checking stuff like coolant levels, screen wash levels, exhaust condition, brake pads and all the other bits on a fairly regular basis anyway, regardless of whether its time for a service. I normally do this as part of my Sunday morning cleaning ritual.

Whilst the car is in the air to get the undertray off, id check the front ball joints, suspension etc.., check tyres are all okay, have a look at the brake pads through the spokes on the wheel - do they look low? And generally have a quick look about under the front of the car. The airfilter takes 10 seconds to check so id have a look at that to see how dirty it is - if it looks black then you can easily change that too.

Sparkplugs arnt listed to be changed at any particular service, its down to the mileage. I cant remember exactly what the recommended mileage to change the plugs are now, but i think it was something like 52k miles is when they need to be changed.

Generally an oil and filter change are the most important, remembering to change sump plug washer too.

I would also check the air filter and replace as necessary (or clean with an airline if on a budget), check coolant and power steering fluid levels. check and grease battery terminals. check brake pads and tyre pressures. check hand brake adjustment etc.

I also don't bother removing the undertray to get at the oil filter, just go in under and through the wheel arch.

Can you reach it through there? i.e. under drivers wheel arch, or do you have to remove the wheel arch?

Something for me to know for my next service which is rapidly approaching.

I also don't bother removing the undertray to get at the oil filter, just go in under and through the wheel arch.

Can you reach it through there? i.e. under drivers wheel arch, or do you have to remove the wheel arch?

Something for me to know for my next service which is rapidly approaching.

it was a while since I did it but as far as I know you can get straight in, its a fiddle but it saved loads of time in the long run. I'm pretty sure I don't have any trim missing either!

while I'm on a ramble too......

for the cost I Would always use a genuine Nissan oil filter. if you aren't local to your dealer you can get them on a well known auction website.

How do you know they are genuine if you buy them from the likes of eBay? I remember some watchdog program about this and how they were counterfeit brake pads being sold which had the stopping power of cheese (may have exaggerated there...).

Jim

while I'm on a ramble too......

for the cost I Would always use a genuine Nissan oil filter. if you aren't local to your dealer you can get them on a well known auction website.

How do you know they are genuine if you buy them from the likes of eBay? I remember some watchdog program about this and how there were counterfeit brake pads being sold which had the stopping power of cheese (may have exaggerated there...).

Jim

They are Nissan dealers selling on ebay so its a good chance they are genuine!