Fixing Japspeed Exhaust Problems...

topcatproduction

Hi all, I am basically wondering if there are any specific problems with the Japspeed exhausts, apart from the "doesn't quite fit" reason.

I'm currently looking to buy a Zed (I know- dont have it yet...), and I know I will want an aftermarket system on it.

The K2 sounds really good to me, and I'd be tempted to fit decats, Y piece and probably headers as well to do the whole lot properly.

Only problem is I won't want to spend a silly amount, and as I am a fabricator I was thinking that I could iron out any problems with Japspeed stuff and re-TIG any parts that are notorious for breaking etc, or make adjustments.

Does it sound like a plan, or are the exhausts really that bad that it's not even worth considering? (And if so, what could be that bad as it's only bent tubes and welded flanges!)

Thanks,

TC

p.s. I like the sound of the K2 as it isn't too much louder than stock, has a nice sound without attracting cops and doesn't have a headachey drone...

Not sure how much experience you've had of the K2, but my car had one on when I got it and I certainly found it quite droney at motorway speeds, particularly over about 65. Have a Milltek now and it's just in a different league as far as sound goes; slightly quieter under 3500RPM (even with HFCs) and much less droney and normal driving speeds.J ust food for thought, and I realise a Milltek isn't exactly equivalent in price, but i only realised how much i didn't like the K2 once i changed it.

DB

Fairplay, I haven't had one but just going from what I've heard, K1 seems way too loud for me, crazy sound is good fun but the novelty wears off quickly I think!

Dragon I agree it shouldn't have to be modified, but I was looking at it from the view that I could bring something cheap up to a good fit etc, as I can do most myself but dont have a mandrel bender etc.

If you're on a budget for an exhaust, then get a Scorpion. Probably one of the best budget ones on the market.

Tarmac sells them.

As for headers.....if you did them, and then want to go FI, you would have to replace the exhaust with a True Dual system at some point.

Whats with the dual system exhaust for FI cars? Is it the V6 firing order or something? Just I ran a twin 2.5" system on my last car with a big X just after the headers and worked well, was a V8 though and it helped the exhaust tuning, same set up that Nascar run, pretty similar to this (stolen from google) http://www.chuckbrandt.com/exhaust.jpg

Essential the Zed is a single pipe exhaust and just goes into a split back box.

No X-pipe.....

Headers come down into the cats, then cats into a Y-pipe, Y-pipe to back box. Very contrictive.

You could go single exit of course, but you would need a large diameter exhaust and Y-pipe.

As for headers.....if you did them, and then want to go FI, you would have to replace the exhaust with a True Dual system at some point.

Errrr, no

I was just going off advice from Abbey when I was looking at a TT conversion.

Errrr, no

I was just going off advice from Abbey when I was looking at a TT conversion.

A true dual helps but you dont HAVE to change to a TD as you implied ;)

Also if your going TT headers are a waste of time as the TT kit will come with its own manifolds. I did headers, paid 3 times more in labour than I paid for the things but I gained 13hp on an untuned engine :)

I've got a Japspeed system, Y pipe back into a K2 backbox.

The fitting wasn't too bad, but you really need to do it on a lift so you can get right under and make adjustments - we took the backbox off halfway through my fitting to get more leverage on the hangers and then refitted it.

post-5330-135011915917_thumb.jpg

post-5330-135011915939_thumb.jpg

It took about half an hour, that's all, with 2 guys from my local garage and me.

post-5330-135011915952_thumb.jpg

The sound is good, and I find I can cruise on the motorway at 3000 - 3500 and still hold normal conversations and listen to music as it's not intrusive at cruising rpm.

Of course, accelerating and 4500 rpm plus gives you a very satisfactory howl . . .

In terms of cost, it's a budget system, but a little extra time in the fitting and you'll be able to get it to fit OK - the exhaust itself is made from 304 stainless so it's not going to rust and if you can make the adjustments yourself and offset that against the fact that Milltek is pretty well double the price. . . . .