Choice of Subs

agentsmith350

After hearing Dave's yesterday I would say say go with Pioneer TS-WX77A B) , also just think of the space you will save :thumbs:

Space isnt really an issue , still not convinced by those flat subs after looking up the specs and prices even the cheapest on those choices looks like it outperforms it, space isnt really an issue id rather have a bit more power

Depends on the space available and what amp you're using. You looking to fill the whole boot or keep the sub hidden away?

budget, what amp, what size, where you putting it, what music do you listen to?

Space isnt too big of a deal since i dont ever need to put shopping ect in there just the odd jacket lol , Id like to keep it hidden to people looking in , i.e behind the rear strut unless u can get a cover or something.

Budget is £300 including Amp , Iv already got a Fli Loaded 1000M amp here i can use though depends on size of sub if it will fit in the car as its rather large. Id like it to go either side of the strut , preferable behind it so not visible to thief's , I listen mainly to HipHop and Grime and like my deep low bass :thumbs:

After hearing Dave's yesterday I would say say go with Pioneer TS-WX77A B) , also just think of the space you will save :thumbs:

Space isnt really an issue , still not convinced by those flat subs after looking up the specs and prices even the cheapest on those choices looks like it outperforms it, space isnt really an issue id rather have a bit more power

Depends on the space available and what amp you're using. You looking to fill the whole boot or keep the sub hidden away?

Space isnt too big of a deal since i dont ever need to put shopping ect in there just the odd jacket lol , Id like to keep it hidden to people looking in , i.e behind the rear strut unless u can get a cover or something.

Budget is £300 including Amp , Iv already got a Fli Loaded 1000M amp here i can use though depends on size of sub if it will fit in the car as its rather large. Id like it to go either side of the strut , preferable behind it so not visible to thief's , I listen mainly to HipHop and Grime and like my deep low bass :thumbs:

Well I have the understrut sub box and empty its 0.7cuft. Ive seen bigger ones that you can get 2cuft. So its 500wrms @ 2ohm your amp that is. So You have the choice of a small under strut box being sealed as it will drop low with a 10" sub. Because you havent got that much power a more effcient sub like a Id Max would be good for you IMO. You could get something like what ive got a Fi Q but that can take 1000wrms but Im giving it 1200wrms @ 1ohm.

Or you could get a big box made that would fit under the strut but would take more of the boot up and have it port tuned to about 33hz. My last sub was a RE XXX v3 15" in a 4cuft box port tuned to 32hz and it was awesome with the lows. It was very clear to but I was running 1600wrms. So you could maybe get sub that needs about 2cuft ported and that could work for you. Do you perfer vented or ported?

Well I have the understrut sub box and empty its 0.7cuft. Ive seen bigger ones that you can get 2cuft. So its 500wrms @ 2ohm your amp that is. So You have the choice of a small under strut box being sealed as it will drop low with a 10" sub. Because you havent got that much power a more effcient sub like a Id Max would be good for you IMO. You could get something like what ive got a Fi Q but that can take 1000wrms but Im giving it 1200wrms @ 1ohm.

Or you could get a big box made that would fit under the strut but would take more of the boot up and have it port tuned to about 33hz. My last sub was a RE XXX v3 15" in a 4cuft box port tuned to 32hz and it was awesome with the lows. It was very clear to but I was running 1600wrms. So you could maybe get sub that needs about 2cuft ported and that could work for you. Do you perfer vented or ported?

Nowhere round here does custom boxed as far as i know / can find so limited to things like above with pre built box's, Havnt heard a ported box but i read they are better for low bass.

Hang on.... You are knocking my choice of sub as being low rent and yet you went for a chinese HU  :bang::lol::wacko:

Yes a 'traditional' sub will out perform what I have no question but the cheapest you are going to get a decent sub + box + amp combo under the strut or in the bose sub location is £500ish

I would suggest you sort out your HU first, then ditch the speakers for better ones with a good amp and then think about subs  :thumbs: 

Hang on.... You are knocking my choice of sub as being low rent and yet you went for a chinese HU  :bang::lol::wacko:

Yes a 'traditional' sub will out perform what I have no question but the cheapest you are going to get a decent sub + box + amp combo under the strut or in the bose sub location is £500ish

I would suggest you sort out your HU first, then ditch the speakers for better ones with a good amp and then think about subs  :thumbs: 

Lol hey the Chinese Headunit is working at the moment :lol:

What i mean is on that list the cheapest option at about £150 irrc is 3 times the power of the pioneer and to me looks like a "traditional" Sub so i cant see the reasoning for choosing the pioneer , Hopefully if there is some though you will let me know :teeth:

Iv an eye on one of those JVC units you have as a Christmas present ( Why is there no xmas smileys but one of these - :bunny: ) , thought of going to go down the whole amp'd door speaker route , I have another small few hundred Watt amp i could use but after ripping my previous cars panels off fitting door speakers and reading up the guides on how to do it with these dont think its worth the risk of something going wrong/cost of pro install when to me the standard ones will do if they were coupled with a good boom of a low sub :evil:

JL Audio everytime, you can pick up 10w6v2 subs for around £100, then you'll need a 500.1 Slash amp which go for arounf £150. £60-80 should get you a box made upto spec and away you go.

I've had many subs before and now avoid Fli,vibe and other halfords brands. Alpine do some good stuff and ive always liked pioneer after having 2 12" 304C's in my Nova running of a PG XS220 amp.

This sub looks tasty :lol:

sub.jpg

My reasons for getting the Pioneer were i didnt want an under strut one that took up half the tiny boot and it was fairly expensive to make up one to fit behind the drivers seat.

If you read the reviews you will see they are pretty good, certainly sounds good to me anyway.

All depends if you want all out volume or just a fuller sound, as Dblock said to me did i want to flap peoples trousers as i drove past :lol:

I also like to be different and do things myself :thumbs:

Glad the chinese unit is working, but much more glad your looking at a better alternative ;)

Its well worth swapping out all the bose speakers, amps etc you certainly wont be dissapointed :band:

JL Audio everytime, you can pick up 10w6v2 subs for around £100, then you'll need a 500.1 Slash amp which go for arounf £150. £60-80 should get you a box made upto spec and away you go.

I've had many subs before and now avoid Fli,vibe and other halfords brands. Alpine do some good stuff and ive always liked pioneer after having 2 12" 304C's in my Nova running of a PG XS220 amp.

Cheapest 10w6v2 i found was £260 , single 10" . Were am i best looking ? .

Needs to have a pre built box - nowhere here makes them

Sorry i was refering to used prices. There must be car audio shops local to you that make custom boxes. I had two made for my 10w6v2, the first was slot ported for when it was in my Z4 and then i changed to sealed when it was in the 350z, both were to JL's spec and the sealed fitted perfectly under the strut.

Sorry i was refering to used prices. There must be car audio shops local to you that make custom boxes. I had two made for my 10w6v2, the first was slot ported for when it was in my Z4 and then i changed to sealed when it was in the 350z, both were to JL's spec and the sealed fitted perfectly under the strut.

Nope , Live in the sticks. can travel for an hour to nearest place but will have to ring around first to see what places are called ect.

Where am i best looking for them second hand ?

talkaudio is where i found my amps at a great price, new they should of been near £400 each, picked them both up for £280.

Looking on there now but struggling a bit with not fully understanding whats what ,

Iv found a Jl 500/1 V2 on there if thats any good

To be honest i could do with a few links from yourself and dBlock for a sub , preferably with box . Id rather use my existing 500wrms amp and save a bit of cash ( Saving for and exhaust and wrap ) and already have a decent gauge wiring kit. Thing that attracted me to the above is that most are around the same rms as my existing amp and come with a box so would be plug and play so to speak , Id much rather have a custom box ect though if its simple enough..?

Also am i right in thinking there is no point getting a sub with a higher RMS rating than my amp since it would never get that amount of power through it anyway

• 3 weeks later...