Painting the Engine Bay

WINKJ

Guys - just thought of this....

How easy would it be to pain the VISIBLE parts of the engine bay B) ... I won't be removing any components etc. I am assuming it will need to be sanded, primed and then painted?!

I dont mind spending time on doing it, just do you think it will be possible to do a decent enough job without removing the engine?

Cheers

James

look for a thread by ricey. he started an noob and ended a pro painter :lol:

haha - just checked it out! looking good...

I was thinking not only the parts like engine cover etc, but the actual visible metal of the car under the hood!... same principle I guess...

I wonder how matt black would look? B) or :thumbdown:

Depends how far you want to go...... B)

glrnet.... thats what i'm talking about!! I need a step by step guide on how you did this lol... so many questions! was it difficult to paint the actual car with the wires in the way etc? did you sand? paint and lacquer?

There's a good guide on here written by Husky, I think it's called Painting Plastic Parts or something similar. All the plastic parts I have painted were not sanded but cleaned thoroughly and primed first. My Plenum cover is actually powder coated and the engine strut bar was sprayed professionally. Time and patience are the key words I think, start with something easier, maybe the brake fluid and battery covers :thumbs:

The colour choice HAS to be yours. :)

Depends how far you want to go...... B)

glrnet.... thats what i'm talking about!! I need a step by step guide on how you did this lol... so many questions! was it difficult to paint the actual car with the wires in the way etc? did you sand? paint and lacquer?

The key to getting a good finish is the prep work, do this right and you should be able to get a brilliant finish. No need to sand plastic just use a good primer, sand inbetween coats to provide to make the surface smooth and remove any contaminants (specs of dust etc) and provide it with a good key for the next coat. :thumbs:

The key to getting a good finish is the prep work, do this right and you should be able to get a brilliant finish. No need to sand plastic just use a good primer, sand inbetween coats to provide to make the surface smooth and remove any contaminants (specs of dust etc) and provide it with a good key for the next coat. :thumbs:

Steve, what prep would you recommend for painting the metal of the actual car, for example around where the strut brace fixes to the car?

Steve, what prep would you recommend for painting the metal of the actual car, for example around where the strut brace fixes to the car?

Its the same process really, metal primer (will prevent rust), base coat, top coat, laquer. Ensure that the primer and base coat are a similar colour to the finished colour so that you dont have to apply lots of coats to block out the primer. For example when having black as the finished colour, use a grey primer and base coat and not white otherwise it will take more coats to cover. Clean the area before hand with some wire wool and methylated spirits or brake cleaner and a cloth. Wire wool will help to etch the surface slightly. Use plenty of masking tape and paper to cover the areas you dont want to paint, a low tack clean edge tape will help give a good finish. Also worth buying some tack cloths to wipe over the area to be painted after sanding to pick up any tiny particles of dust. (the cloths have a small amount of a sticky wax on them which pulls the dust off, whilst not interfering with the surface) Sand down inbetween coats apart from when you come to apply the laquer.