Hello- and Engine Question!

topcatproduction

Hi all, I'm new here as you can see, I am currently looking to buy a zed as always liked them and after selling my last project car (370bhp blown V8 MX-5) I'm desperate for some fast wheels again.

I was wondering though, what is the weak link- or what are the weak links, in the 3.5 V6 engine? I have seen several with turbo kits etc only pushing out mid 300's to 400 bhp, and wondering why when completely stock 2JZ-GTE engines and RB26-DETs can make something like 5-600bhp easily with more boost on stock internals.

I have heard the heads on VQ35-DE flow very well, and as its a modern short V6 I'd have thought the crank would be strong, the block rigid, and modern conrods and pistons aren't usually too bad either!

I'm not trying to rub anyone up the wrong way but would just like to know why you dont (or I havent!) see many big bhp 350's around, given that they have a big capacity to start with!

Regards,

TC

p.s. I have spent hours browsing the forum to learn a bit already...

:welcome:

Basically, Torque kills the DE engine.

So as you get to around 400 bhp with a TT/SC kit, thats when the torque levels shaft it. To get any higher it's forged internals.

Basically you dont see many big power Zeds because of the cost/work involved in doing the built engine.

The HR motor (in the 2007-2008 Zed) is good for 500 bhp ish on standard internals.

I think the con rods and pistons aren't that strong. 400bhp is still good for a car that wasn't made for boost where as the 2jz and rb's where.

IMO the cheapest way to go fast but it depends on what you need your car for is slipping in a ls2 which will make it fast. You turbo that ls2 you have something stupid. All conversion parts are off the shelf and the ls2 is strong. V8 bliss :thumbs:

I'm looking forward to owning a sharp, crisp V6 though! I'm not interested in a conversion in the Zed, the money it would cost I'd rather buy an R34 GTR!

Basically I know when I find the right car I'll be after more power, my mazda was 400bhp per tonne and I'd still have had more, so I was thinking the easiest way to get some more power would be to plumb in an invisible nitrous set up, and had thought about using a single WON crossfire jet or something similar in the throttle body, with a 75bhp direct hit. The lines and soleniods could all be hidden, have a tiny activate switch in the dash somewhere and WOT switch and Bobs your uncle!

I have a couple of friends who are regularly at Santa Pod who know their N2O too.

Does it sound like a feasable plan, and probably best bang for buck? (Modified exhaust etc is a given too, subtle backbox like a Nismo one or Japspeed K2).

Thanks,

TC

I think the con rods and pistons aren't that strong. 400bhp is still good for a car that wasn't made for boost where as the 2jz and rb's where.

IMO the cheapest way to go fast but it depends on what you need your car for is slipping in a ls2 which will make it fast. You turbo that ls2 you have something stupid. All conversion parts are off the shelf and the ls2 is strong. V8 bliss :thumbs:

Aren't LS2 crates like 12k? and that's without getting it fitted. I would think a modest bottom end build (pistons, rods + associated gubbins) and a vortech V3 with a new pulley would get you the same-ish power for less. But obviously not as reliable as an engine that was always designed for big power.

DB

What are the main differences between the DE and HR engines then? Some H beam rods, forged pistons and treated crank can safeguard most engines if the main caps etc are secure enough, the journals look decent sized on the DE as well.

50-70bhp shot of gas should just be ok on standard timing shouldn't it, or is it best to go piggyback chip/ecu (sure I saw a Greddy one) that is easy to swap between modes etc.

I'm gonna be honest. By the sounds of what your talking about the zed really isn't the car for you. It isn't a really fast car and to twin turbo your talking upwards of 15k.

For nos my bills around 4k including getting stuff cheap.

You'll be better of buying a tt supra or 34 gtr. The zed really isn't going to be the car for you. It's fat at around 1600-1700kg and to be light and nimble you'll need very deep pockets

I'm gonna be honest. By the sounds of what your talking about the zed really isn't the car for you. It isn't a really fast car and to twin turbo your talking upwards of 15k.

For nos my bills around 4k including getting stuff cheap.

You'll be better of buying a tt supra or 34 gtr. The zed really isn't going to be the car for you. It's fat at around 1600-1700kg and to be light and nimble you'll need very deep pockets

+1 A good summation.

Aren't LS2 crates like 12k? and that's without getting it fitted. I would think a modest bottom end build (pistons, rods + associated gubbins) and a vortech V3 with a new pulley would get you the same-ish power for less. But obviously not as reliable as an engine that was always designed for big power.

DB

Ive seen them on driftworks for alot less. Its not that expensive considering to fit it as its all off the shelf. :thumbs:

i got recommended to fit an ls2 when i spoke to apex about a rb conversion on the zed.

DB

Ive seen them on driftworks for alot less. Its not that expensive considering to fit it as its all off the shelf. :thumbs:

i got recommended to fit an ls2 when i spoke to apex about a rb conversion on the zed.

DB

You can see why though. Big reliable and if you want more power you just have to throw more money at it. There is one it sounds awesome TT too :scare:

Why not look at a 370z? If you're looking at an R34. We have a fair number over here running some fairly good hp, around 500hp

It's fat at around 1600-1700kg and to be light and nimble you'll need very deep pockets

DE's, especially the earliest ones, weight in at about 1475kgs. ;)

Why not look at a 370z? If you're looking at an R34. We have a fair number over here running some fairly good hp, around 500hp

It's fat at around 1600-1700kg and to be light and nimble you'll need very deep pockets

DE's, especially the earliest ones, weight in at about 1475kgs. ;)

Not when I'm driving it :lol:

Mines is a heavy facelift model

Hi, sorry no internet at home last night. I know it isn't going to be cheap to turn a 350z into a rocket, but I'm not expecting it to be completely wild- just fast enough to hang the back out and burn some rubber!

It's a compromise because it's also a comfy road car, which my mx5 wasn't- you smelt of petrol when you got out of it, ears were ringing and hands shaking lol.

For as long as I've been into cars I've always wanted a Supra RZ, but they are getting on a bit now and still expensive! R33 or R34 GTR only just behind on my wishlist but still a bit dear and the other thing with those two Jap monsters is you will hardly ever find a girl who appreciates what they are! If I had an extra couple of grand I'd probably get a Tuscan, because I know I wouldn't want to spend thousands on modifying it which is what normally kills the dream...

I would go and test drive some. They are very smooth and even the standard engine will be perfectly able to drop the back end out much easier than you think. In terms of power speed your in m3 territory with a few mods like decats, y-pipe, exhaust and remap. Zmanalex has the beast of the forum which was running around 600 at the wheels and will be more next season. I'd drop him a pm for a chat and speak to him about it.