Help tracking down annoying rattle

PickledSushi

Had the stereo off this week and noticed an annoying metallic rattle sound coming from the rear of the car. It only seems to happen when warmed up and accelerating hard at about 3000 RPM so suspect the exhaust is touching something when hot. I've recently fitted a Tanabe exhaust and stillen y pipe but didn't notice the rattle when these were fitted but I normally have the stereo on quite high so may just not have noticed it until now

Anyway, I crawled under the car today to check the exhaust clearance and couldn't see any obvious points of contact. Decided to remove the flimsy heat shield above the backbox and the plastic diff shield but the rattle was still there :(

I thought it might also be an interior rattle in the back somewhere, even though it only happens when warm (I was getting desparate!) so I removed the spare wheel, tools, boot mat, cargo net etc. but still no joy :bang:

Any suggestions of where else to look? or do I just live with it and turn the volume up! :)

Something else to check is under the trim in the boot. When i took my boot apart to fit some soundproofing i found a trim clip that had snapped off the trim section that covers the back of the boot (i.e the bit at the back of the car) and fallen inside a cavity in the metal structure underneath. It was pretty easy to get it out and solved what i thought was my rear suspension falling off, so if you have the patience it may be worth a check.

DB

Looking from the back, check the right hand side under the car.

Between the wheel arch and backbox area you might find another heatshieldy thing.

I believe it's used to protect Nissan factory reversing sensor box thingy.

Found the heat shield you were talking about and removed it today but still no joy! :(

Something else to check is under the trim in the boot. When i took my boot apart to fit some soundproofing i found a trim clip that had snapped off the trim section that covers the back of the boot (i.e the bit at the back of the car) and fallen inside a cavity in the metal structure underneath. It was pretty easy to get it out and solved what i thought was my rear suspension falling off, so if you have the patience it may be worth a check.

DB

I still think it's something either under the car or in the exhaust given that it only happens when hot. I did find a clip under the spare tyre yesterday which I could occasionally hear rolling around so that's one less noise I suppose! :yahoo:

I think I might just admit defeat with this one :surrender: It's not that noticeable when the stereo is on so might just wait until the car is in the garage for some work and ask them to have a look at it then

Thanks for the suggestions anyway :thumbs:

I just need to put all the bits I took off back on again now... :(