Heavy inside edge wear

TheGrinch

Saw a 350 with heavy inside edge tyre wear. The central section and outside edge had loads of life but the inner edges of both front tyres (nearside slightly moreso) was just knackered.

I've read on the net that this is a known issue and that even in the states there have been law suits on the subject. What causes it, can it be fixed/prevented, is it present on all Zs of a certain age.

Advice appreciated.

Zed is prone to tracking being knocked out if clipping a curb etc.

Was the car lowered at all? That can send it all to hell.

And for what its worth, never heard of a law suit in the UK because of this.

No, not lowered.

So if the tracking is out how bad can the tyre wear be? How sensitive are the cars to this. This was pretty bad. Both wheels.

Have a google and theres something from the US on the legal stuff - I found it pretty much straight away when looking for info on the subject. Its in the states (litigate on everything though), not the UK.

Mines managed 23k on Toyo t1r's and its camber was well out. I had wear on the inside edge but 25k in my eyes is more than reasonable mileage for a tyre change.

It all depends on how many miles the tyres have done. If they're bald on inner edge after 5k something is wrong. After 15-20k just means its doing to many straight motorway miles instead of getting used on back roads and tight turns which will transfer the wear onto outer areas of the tread.

Was the car lowered at all? That can send it all to hell.

Lowered doesn't mean tracking/camber etc will be out. Just had mine lowered, not a degree or mm out of kilter. Properly done needs no adjustment :thumbs:

I would guess tracking or balance :)

Thats not right, if its lowered it will always need alignment no matter what. The 350 doesnt have macpherson struts so the adjustment comes from the from A arm and the rear camber arms.

Both times in a garage, no adjustment needed, you can contact them, RX8 done in Taggarts, 370 The Garage in Motherwell. Lowered both on Eibach Pro, no adjustment needed, no excessive tyre wear, well on the 8, so far on the 370 too early, but the 8 was extensively tracked, as in on a track and three humungous tours and not a scliff of rubber different ;)

Forgot to add, the 8 was taken back after two weeks running and THEN checked, not a jot had it moved :thumbs:

Both times in a garage, no adjustment needed, you can contact them, RX8 done in Taggarts, 370 The Garage in Motherwell. Lowered both on Eibach Pro, no adjustment needed, no excessive tyre wear, well on the 8, so far on the 370 too early, but the 8 was extensively tracked, as in on a track and three humungous tours and not a scliff of rubber different ;)

Forgot to add, the 8 was taken back after two weeks running and THEN checked, not a jot had it moved :thumbs:

Not saying your telling porkies it just everytime Ive had a car lowered or lowered it, it has always needed alignment.

@Nixy, thanks for your response.

@Alex, what sort of cost are they and how much work is involved (for a professional mechanic - not me) to fit them?

In general the concensus seems to be (i) get the tracking done with a good firm using lazer tracking (ii) have a look at the TSB to see what the tracking specs they set out there (I'll need to check against the tracking data on the forum and see if its the same) (iii) buy camber arms (although its been suggested that this can sometimes throw out the rear camber in sympathy).