Components needed for suspension refresh

TheGrinch

What parts would be necessary to put a 50k mile car back to the point where it felt pretty new.

Not interested in replacing things for the sake of it, but would like to identify the key wear components which have most impact on handling and ride.

If you could list them and specify a rough cost for the part and whether it is a 15 min, 30min, or 45 min job for a decent mechanic to fit (and which ones of them can be done together without incremental time spent) that would be appreciated.

Thanks

With the proviso that the dampenners are ok then replace:

- the compression arm bush < £150

- ARB bushes < £40

(if the car is pre 05 then swap the OEM ARBs for post 05 OEM items as this were further stiffenned. eg 17% at the front.)

- Droplinks < £80

The above mods will sharpen the car up big time as they are the bushes which take the biggest beating. However all rubber OEM type bushes will depreciate with age and lead to vague handling.

I would go with urethane bushes from Superpro. Contact Jez here for discounted price. :thumbs:

Zmanalex does OEM type rubber bush replacement for the compresion arm too ;)

I have used OEM 2005 ARB cheap for sale if you need them. :teeth:

If you want razor sharp feel/handling beyond even a new zed and money no object then replace all the bushes with urethane items, realign the geo and get good sticky tyres for an awesome handling package :)

Thanks for the info GT4.

The car is a 2005. Assume that means the ARB is as good as its going to get?

So the £270, is that parts only or parts including fitting (inclusive maybe)?

Yup ARB Ok but if you want to go abit further and have adjustability then aftermarket is you answer with Eibach, Hotchkiss etc

£250-270 will be for parts only and labour depends where you go but if you are near worcester i can set you with my arage for the cheapest you would get anywhere in the UK.

I got Wasso a P3 service ( including ALL fluids changed except brake fluid as this is fresh), the bushes above and braided clutch line in circa £200. And you can get your hands dirty too ;)

With the proviso that the dampenners are ok then replace:

- the compression arm bush < £150

- ARB bushes < £40

(if the car is pre 05 then swap the OEM ARBs for post 05 OEM items as this were further stiffenned. eg 17% at the front.)

- Droplinks < £80

The above mods will sharpen the car up big time as they are the bushes which take the biggest beating. However all rubber OEM type bushes will depreciate with age and lead to vague handling.

I would go with urethane bushes from Superpro. Contact Jez here for discounted price. :thumbs:

Zmanalex does OEM type rubber bush replacement for the compresion arm too ;)

I have used OEM 2005 ARB cheap for sale if you need them. :teeth:

If you want razor sharp feel/handling beyond even a new zed and money no object then replace all the bushes with urethane items, realign the geo and get good sticky tyres for an awesome handling package :)

Good advice I will be doing some of this soon.

Bennet do you know if I should use standard size arb bushes or bigger ones as I got after market arbs?

What aftermarket ARBs do you have?

I've got Eibachs and the bush size is 34mm front and 22mm rear which i have swapped to Superpro as they had worn down.

Superpro do a wide range of ARB bushes sizes anyway to meet any requirement. Just specify what size you need in your order. Jez would come along to sort you i'm sure ;)

What aftermarket ARBs do you have?

I've got Eibachs and the bush size is 34mm front and 22mm rear which i have swapped to Superpro as they had worn down.

Superpro do a wide range of ARB bushes sizes anyway to meet any requirement. Just specify what size you need in your order. Jez would come along to sort you i'm sure ;)

Ive got the cusco arbs. Not sure what size they are. Id imagine fairly similar size to yours. Im sure all the bushes on my car are going as its a daily driver :lol: