Problems with dealer/stealer and tax... VERY weird

slimjim

Friend of mine bought a motor bike from a small dealer.

2008 660 Aprilla, £3500 worth. About 12 months ago.

He then (through no fault of his own) ended up not being about to get his bike licence. Long story, you don't want to know.

Because he never got his licence, he never picked up his bike. The dealer said he would keep the bike and try to sell it for him.

Pretty decent of him.

Now, my friend spends a LOT of time abroad working and has just had a text saying that the dealer was having trouble selling the bike, so he has swapped it for an R1 with another dealer! Saying it will be easier to sell.

The dealer didn't ask... and technically, the bike is still my friends, as he has paid for it (even though he never filled in the V5, he has an official receipt from the dealer with the bike reg/vin no on it.)

Just checked on the DVLA and the Aprilla has 7 months tax on it.

[edit]

12 months ago, it had no tax on it. Was going to be given 12 months tax when it was picked up by my friend. So why would it have 7 months tax on it now....?

[/edit]

I am tempted to pop over to the dealers and have a look around, see what he has on his forecourt.

Could the dealer have sold the bike and just not told the owner, knowing he is out of the country a lot?

So, anyone have any comments on this? :shrug:

When did you mate let him know he wouldn't be collecting the bike? I reckon the dealer sold the bike 5 months ago and hasn't said anything until now, not so decent of him, if that is the case it wasn't so hard to sell after all. Ask to see the R1 too, maybe he took the R1 in p/x for the Aprilla :shrug::shrug::wacko::bang: Good luck with it, I don't envy you as there are so many permutations, of course I maybe wrong and there might be a perfectly good explanation, in any event I think you should visit unannounced ASAP.

Friend of mine bought a motor bike from a small dealer.

2008 660 Aprilla, £3500 worth. About 12 months ago.

He then (through no fault of his own) ended up not being about to get his bike licence. Long story, you don't want to know.

Because he never got his licence, he never picked up his bike. The dealer said he would keep the bike and try to sell it for him.

Pretty decent of him.

Now, my friend spends a LOT of time abroad working and has just had a text saying that the dealer was having trouble selling the bike, so he has swapped it for an R1 with another dealer! Saying it will be easier to sell.

The dealer didn't ask... and technically, the bike is still my friends, as he has paid for it (even though he never filled in the V5, he has an official receipt from the dealer with the bike reg/vin no on it.)

Just checked on the DVLA and the Aprilla has 7 months tax on it.

12 months ago, it had 12 months tax on it. So why would it have 7 months tax on it now....?

I am tempted to pop over to the dealers and have a look around, see what he has on his forecourt.

Could the dealer have sold the bike and just not told the owner, knowing he is out of the country a lot?

So, anyone have any comments on this? :shrug:

When did you mate let him know he wouldn't be collecting the bike? I reckon the dealer sold the bike 5 months ago and hasn't said anything until now, not so decent of him, if that is the case it wasn't so hard to sell after all. Ask to see the R1 too, maybe he took the R1 in p/x for the Aprilla :shrug::shrug::wacko::bang: Good luck with it, I don't envy you as there are so many permutations, of course I maybe wrong and there might be a perfectly good explanation, in any event I think you should visit unannounced ASAP.

Very weird. I think he said he couldn't collect it very soon after he bought it ... abotu 2-3 weeks?

Hard to get hold of him to ask as he is working in the middle of nowhere in India at the mo.

By mate isn't back in the country for another couple of months. I think I may be passing the dealers next week when I am out on site, so I may pop in for a walk about. Problem is, I could be balshy easily with a car dealer, but I have NO idea when it comes to bikes.

I took and passed my CBT years ago (expired now) but I know nothing about bikes!

I know an R1 is a quick motor (could I go in saying I am looking for a donor for my kit car project?)

I don't know enough about bikes either, but from a time scale of events perspective it looks like the dealer had a "free hand" to do whatever he wanted from quite an early stage. Is a phone call to Citizens Advice worth a go, or google with regards to rights of ownership? As far as I understand your mate has legal claim to the bike as he has a receipt/invoice, your difficulty is not knowing, perhaps, exactly what was agreed between your mate and the dealer. The dealer may well have tried to contact him but was unable to do so and will use that as justification for doing what ever he has done. The more I think about it the more I think you and your buddy need some proper advice. :wacko:

Very weird. I think he said he couldn't collect it very soon after he bought it ... abotu 2-3 weeks?

Hard to get hold of him to ask as he is working in the middle of nowhere in India at the mo.

By mate isn't back in the country for another couple of months. I think I may be passing the dealers next week when I am out on site, so I may pop in for a walk about. Problem is, I could be balshy easily with a car dealer, but I have NO idea when it comes to bikes.

I took and passed my CBT years ago (expired now) but I know nothing about bikes!

I know an R1 is a quick motor (could I go in saying I am looking for a donor for my kit car project?)

I don't know enough about bikes either, but from a time scale of events perspective it looks like the dealer had a "free hand" to do whatever he wanted from quite an early stage. Is a phone call to Citizens Advice worth a go, or google with regards to rights of ownership? As far as I understand your mate has legal claim to the bike as he has a receipt/invoice, your difficulty is not knowing, perhaps, exactly what was agreed between your mate and the dealer. The dealer may well have tried to contact him but was unable to do so and will use that as justification for doing what ever he has done. The more I think about it the more I think you and your buddy need some proper advice. :wacko:

I agree...

I am worried that the dealer COULD turn round and say "OK mate, well I will charge you a fiver a day for holding the bike for you then"

:scare: