What burns more calories, skiing or snowboarding?

Zedrush

Going to Meribel 3 peaks this Xmas, not sure whether to do skiing which Im not bad at or try something new like snowboarding. Which burns more calories, I know its relative to what you are doing, but if you were to go down the same hill, would one burn and demand more cardio more than the other? Snowboard seems like less work on the legs or am I completely wrong?

Don't worry about the calories,when you have the 'apres skiing' party afterwards you'll put them all back on!!!!! :teeth:

Aahhh apres, gotta love that, totally ruined before dinner after a good day on the slopes, nothing beats it.

Regardless of calories get on the board it's far better, can't wait to go in January :D

A bit late on the reply but after doing both for the last 40 years, I found skiing is more active and burning up calories because you use both legs seperately, compared to boarding.

Trust me a skier will beat a boarder down to the bottom of a run on any slope. However as has been stated the apres evening is still the same.

Enjoy either way, its still the same.

To all you boarders............."way cooler" :yawn: ...............only if your good unlike most of the boarders on the piste who jusr get in the way, get stuck on connecting runs and just act like a piste basher. Im learning rails and helicopters with my blades for next year when Im going to get some freestyle ski's :teeth: . Gotta try and keep up with the kids :lol: .

On the subject of it doesnt take any effort if your doing it right................all depends on what your doing to be honest. I can tell ive had a work out at the end of the day and ive been sking since I was 4..............maybe im not doing it right ;) .

To all you boarders............."way cooler" :yawn: ...............only if your good unlike most of the boarders on the piste who jusr get in the way, get stuck on connecting runs and just act like a piste basher. Im learning rails and helicopters with my blades for next year when Im going to get some freestyle ski's :teeth: . Gotta try and keep up with the kids :lol: .

On the subject of it doesnt take any effort if your doing it right................all depends on what your doing to be honest. I can tell ive had a work out at the end of the day and ive been sking since I was 4..............maybe im not doing it right ;) .

I am a boarder... but gotta say that blades are super kool.

Fancy a pair of twin tips too.... :cloud9:

I am a boarder... but gotta say that blades are super kool.

Fancy a pair of twin tips too.... :cloud9:

I used to have a set of blades, 99.9cms, great for messing around on and good for your carving techique, just avoid deep snow!!

Twin tips are the way forward, even if you can't ski backwards you create rooster tails of snow when you carve, good for spraying your buddies when you overtake!!

I ski every year and generally ski pretty fast/hard, I eat like a horse and and drink like a fish at apre and never come back any heavier!! They recomend 2500 cal a day for a man, I think I'm nearer 4000 plus when skiing!!

Either way, have a great trip.