Squeaky Brakes & Knocking Sound

TomS

Just wrote out this post and then Safari decided to log me out and delete what I'd written :@

Driving to work yesterday and today, very slowly I noticed that the brakes, or what I think is the brakes, were squeaking when used with very little pressure. It only happened with a tiny amount of pressure at a low speed, anything more and there was no squeaking. Running EBC yellowstuff pads which have 6-7000 miles on them, how long should they be lasting on average road driving?

Also recently after having the Berk HFCs fitted I've noticed a knocking sound on the underside passenger side of the car. It's not when pulling off or slowing, but when I go over a bump or around a sharp corner, it's as if something is hanging down swinging left to right when I turn. Anything known or could it just be anything hanging that needs fixing? Guess the only way to find out is to jack the car up and have a look. Will it be fine on the jack that comes with the car or will it still be too low to get under?

I'm afraid I can't shed any light on the knocking.... do your brake pads have anti-squeal shims? I stole mine from my OEM pads and stuck them to the backs of my new pads with a little copper grease. Works a treat :thumbs: That's if you still have them though...

If not then just brake hard all the time, f*** the passenger, drive it like you stole it and that should stop the squeaking too...

Turns out the knocking noise was my air freshener knocking against the side window, what a muppet I am for that! Will take a look at the brakes today, anything specific I should be looking for or would I need to get the pads out?

Turns out the knocking noise was my air freshener knocking against the side window, what a muppet I am for that

:lol:

Have a look to make sure the clips that hold them in are the right way round.... you could take the pads out and stick some copper grease on the backs to see if that helps :shrug: