80mph on the motorways?

coldel

I would love the speed limit to go up to 80mph... that would be great.

But what would be BETTER would be punishing middle lane hoggers.

I HONESTLY believe that is people pulled in when they are not over taking, we could sit at 70 for longer and not NEED to jump up to 80.

Taking the limit to 80 will just mean you have to do 50-80 all the time (more fuel, more pollution)

Enforce the middle lane even OUTSIDE lane users to pull over when they should/can do and you won't have to drop down from 70 a much.

Therefore making the journey quicker and more economical. Plus if you FINE the idiots, then the government get cash that way :thumbs:

Also the problem with the allowances of people speeding before a fine can be issued. In scotland its something like 10% and 2mph. Thats means in an 80 zone people can do 90mph before getting charged for speeding.

I've just attended a speed awareness course and the first half was delivered by a recently retired boss of the traffic police. He took great pains, in spite of his audience generally thinking differently, to assure us that the motorway speed limit for a car is 70 mph. One guy was feeling rather badly done to for getting pulled at 75 when "everybody" knows that you don't get pulled below 80! Discretion may be allowed, but the speed limit for a car on a motorway is still 70 mph.

It's a winner....we all get to drive a bit faster and we all use more fuel to help swell the Motorway Service area profits and the extra fuel tax raised will come in handy too :lol: . Seriously though, I'd prefer a 75 limit both on motorways and dual carriageways for a trail period, say 3 to 5 years :shrug:

Pete

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15116064

Looks like it's official. :) Despite the views of many safety campaigners, the current limits were designed when traveling at 70mph was somewhat similar to going along at >100 in modern cars. In the interest of safety we could all ditch transport altogether and walk to make sure there are no transport-related incidents. In addition, we should do away with electricity and all manner of dangerous technology and go back and live in caves...

On a good day with good road conditions and minimal traffic? 80 No problem, prob 90 no problem. Would I trust all the idiots out there to adjust this down when conditions dictate? Not a chance. safety prob means allowing for the lowest common denominator, not the driving enthusiast. Mores the pity tho!

I see the results of a quick rain shower in work all the time, usually on a spinal board having stuffed it over a hedge somewhere because they didn't think to adjust to the conditions. Most walk away ( thank goodness car safety is improving) but not always.

If you read the small print, any increase in the motorway speed limit would almost certainly come hand in hand with increased inforcement too, and for that reason...

Ahhm Oot!

460-Bannatyne_979020c.jpg

Wish they would stop chasing the headlines and just increase driving standards/tests etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15116064

Looks like it's official. :) Despite the views of many safety campaigners, the current limits were designed when traveling at 70mph was somewhat similar to going along at >100 in modern cars. In the interest of safety we could all ditch transport altogether and walk to make sure there are no transport-related incidents. In addition, we should do away with electricity and all manner of dangerous technology and go back and live in caves...

I'm not really bothered either way as I don't use motorways all that often and in any case find 75 to be a comfortable cruising speed. From what I've seen of Motorways in the last few years they are much, much busier than back in the 70's and in some of the congested areas around cities you'd be lucky to maintain 60 let alone 80. Considering that the government is also keen on introducing a 20 mph limit in built up areas, which if you look at the figures is where the majority of road deaths occur (cyclists and pedestrians in particular) then the time savings benefits may not be that great but overall deaths could actually fall.

Pete