Oil question..

AmyZed

Hey, OK, please dont laugh... i have a question which i think may be silly but its best to check as i want to ensure i do not mess around with my Zed!

I usually get an oil change twice a year.. is this excessive or good for a Zed? I have thought in the past im being silly and its not necessary? however ..rather be safe than sorry! i do about 11,000 miles a year, prob a bit less.

I have just bought my Zed Roadster, 53 plate, import.... it was serviced in April.... would it be a good idea to change the oil and filter? Id like to top it up, so its full....... here comes the silly question;

i dont know what oil the previous owner has in there! nissan did the service though.

is it ok to top up with different oil!? or should the tank have the same oil in throughout?!

Which oil is best for my car 88k miles......? i have read up on this and so far found most suggest 5w30 fully synth?

sorry if all a bit silly questions.... I want to learn though :D

also- the oil temp on the gauge - what should that typically read?

i am just paranoid i think and want to make sure my zed is running well :blush: i have not a clue about alot of this as i just usually give my cars to my garage... but this is my first more 'performance' car so i want to learn and understand it and give it everything it needs

Twice a year is fine, should keep it in top condition, 5w30 synthetic is also fine. If you are buying oil, might as well do a full change and filter.

The Zed has guages for oil pressure and coolant temperature.

thank you :)

ah- pressure- yes sorry- well mine reads low- i hope thats correct ! :blush:

Personally I never ever trust what the previous owner or garage has done to the car service wise. So, when i get a car, the first thing I normally do is give it a full service. The bits cost hardly anything so nothing to loose. When my missus got her Peugeot 307 the dealer swore blind he`d given it a full service and he had even stamped the service book up. I checked and the oil was black, the air & pollen filters looked like they were 100 years old - full of straw and black.

Depending on where you get the bits from the zed is very cheap to do an oil / filter change. My local parts place quoted me £25 for 5/30 fully synthetic oil & a filter. A genuine Nissan filter only adds a few quid to the price. At least then you know exactly what oil is put in it.

Twice a year sounds fine. I normally do my cars every 10k miles, which for me is 3 times a year.

Personally I never ever trust what the previous owner or garage has done to the car service wise. So, when i get a car, the first thing I normally do is give it a full service. The bits cost hardly anything so nothing to loose. When my missus got her Peugeot 307 the dealer swore blind he`d given it a full service and he had even stamped the service book up. I checked and the oil was black, the air & pollen filters looked like they were 100 years old - full of straw and black.

Depending on where you get the bits from the zed is very cheap to do an oil / filter change. My local parts place quoted me £25 for 5/30 fully synthetic oil & a filter. A genuine Nissan filter only adds a few quid to the price. At least then you know exactly what oil is put in it.

Twice a year sounds fine. I normally do my cars every 10k miles, which for me is 3 times a year.

thank you , thats why i am thinking of doing it now.... cause although its stamped to have been done in april... id like to know 100% its all ok... so, the only place ive bought oil is halfords in past... where is cheaper?? :clap:

Change my oil every year on about 10k miles...probably one of the cheapest and best ways to maintain the car :thumbs:

Actually my dad and I just did a service on my Zed, we took off the belts and they were pretty worn - worth checking those as well.

thank you , thats why i am thinking of doing it now.... cause although its stamped to have been done in april... id like to know 100% its all ok... so, the only place ive bought oil is halfords in past... where is cheaper?? :clap:

Pretty much anywhere is cheaper than halfrauds!!! I tend to use local small motorfactors, the same as all your local garages and service centres would use. Although it does pay to shop around. I recently moved house and the new motorfactor near where I live now is about 3 times the price of the one in my old town. Its actually cheaper for me to do the 25mile trip to my old town to get the bits.

Try this place Amy. Oilman is a trade member on this forum and will always give good advice if you need it.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/

General consensus for a performance oil is Fuchs (formally Silkolene) Race Pro S. It's an Ester fully synthetic, and you are correct, the grade should be 5w30.

If you sign up as a forum member you get a discount on quoted prices, and they are generally running a sale or something like free delivery, so worth looking out for. Always buy the best oil you can afford, and twice a year is perfect with your mileage. :thumbs:

Try this place Amy. Oilman is a trade member on this forum and will always give good advice if you need it.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/

General consensus for a performance oil is Fuchs (formally Silkolene) Race Pro S. It's an Ester fully synthetic, and you are correct, the grade should be 5w30.

If you sign up as a forum member you get a discount on quoted prices, and they are generally running a sale or something like free delivery, so worth looking out for. Always buy the best oil you can afford, and twice a year is perfect with your mileage. :thumbs:

thank you - i will do :clap:

I would say that changing your oil twice a year for only 11000 miles or less is excessive and massively so if you end up using a top notch fully synthetic. I use the Amsoil fully synthetc myself from Opie. :)

Based on a Nissan service recommendation of 9k between services, pushing up to two a year for 11k is hardly excessive, or massively so.

You should always use a top quality oil if you can, which at least meets the manufacturers specification, and as it does no harm, changing more often is always preferable to stretching the service intervals, if only by a couple of thousand miles.

I would say that changing your oil twice a year for only 11000 miles or less is excessive and massively so if you end up using a top notch fully synthetic. I use the Amsoil fully synthetc myself from Opie. :)

Based on a Nissan service recommendation of 9k between services, pushing up to two a year for 11k is hardly excessive, or massively so.

You should always use a top quality oil if you can, which at least meets the manufacturers specification, and as it does no harm, changing more often is always preferable to stretching the service intervals, if only by a couple of thousand miles.

Of course you should still adhere to the recommended service interval of 9000 miles but my point is that i think it would be way over the top changing a fully synthetic oil (if you use it) twice for 11,000 miles or less. That would mean typically you are changing it every 5500 miles when some synthetics are supposed to be good for 12000 miles!

Mind you i have no room to talk i get my car serviced annually at Nissan and typically my fully synthetic oil get drained with only 2-3000 miles under its belt. :blush:

But if i was not getting my car serviced at a Nissan dealer and was not bothered about a full dealer service history then i would only change the oil every 9000 miles and more so if using a fully synthetic oil. :)