Fault code diagnosis please

marzman

EDIT - I've read the codes, see my latest post!

Hi all,

Sorry to post this, but i need some help reading my fault codes...!

Same story as many others on here - when driving today, about 1 minute after setting off the engine/slip lights came on and the car went into limp mode. I restarted it immediately and the light were gone, but then 30 seconds later it all came on again with limp mode. So switched it off and on for a 3rd time, and i got a mile up the road before it happened again so limped all the way home.

So, i've tried to read the codes using the guide from here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=53054&hilit=engine+light

and i filmed it. However i cant really discern where the fast/slow flashes stop and start - and they seem to go on forever (i got bored of filming after a while! Does this mean that i've got loads of fault codes stored which could have been on there for years, or have loads of faults been thrown from this issue? I'm thinking if i do an ecu reset and wait for it to happen again before reading the codes...?

Lastly - the car has been fine for the 6k miles i've had it, never had a problem. Only 37k on the clock now. I fitted a throttle controller about 3 weeks ago but have done a couple of hundred miles since then without fault... :shrug:

Any help is much appreciated. :)

Sorry mate ive watched that video 3 times now to try and help and still cant follow tuose dam flashes. Absolutely bloody stupid system in my opinion. Its happened to me twice and trying to follow the flahes when, stressed, annoyed and freaking at my poorly zed really didnt help the situation.

Hope yoou get it sorted.

Might be me, but it looks like you've got a number of sensors going off. I counted a few A/F codes and 1212 - ABS sensor.

Have you checked all your fluids? Coolant can set off a number of these sensors including the A/F one as per a number of recent cases. Other than that, another common fault is one of the lambda sensors at the bottom.

Sorry mate ive watched that video 3 times now to try and help and still cant follow tuose dam flashes. Absolutely bloody stupid system in my opinion. Its happened to me twice and trying to follow the flahes when, stressed, annoyed and freaking at my poorly zed really didnt help the situation.

Hope yoou get it sorted.

:lol: Cheers Will...

Might be me, but it looks like you've got a number of sensors going off. I counted a few A/F codes and 1212 - ABS sensor.

Have you checked all your fluids? Coolant can set off a number of these sensors including the A/F one as per a number of recent cases. Other than that, another common fault is one of the lambda sensors at the bottom.

Hi Sasha... A/F? Air filter? Air/Fuel? Not sure what this is sorry. First thing i checked was my fluids and all look spot on. :thumbs:

I've reset the ECU now and read the codes again but got nothing (000 i think). So i've been on a 10 minute blast round town (is there anything better late at night? :D ) and it seems alright for now... so i'll keep my eye on it.

Unfortunately I can't see the video at work but I do know that the codes repeat themselves, so it maybe repeating the same code or couple of codes over and over so it seems to be going on forever.

I would recommend getting an OBDII reader of some sort, it makes it so much easier to deal with things like this. I've got a blutooth one from ebay for about £30 and it is spot on, well worth the money.

Do you have an Android phone at all? If so there is a very handy App called "Torque" which allows you to do the same as well as many other things, with the benefit of having it in your pocket when you when you want it.

Okay, so it's happened again today and i've just read the codes again. Sam - the tip about the codes repeating has cleared it up for me - thanks mate. :thumbs:

So the code string im getting is as follows before it repeats itself:

I'm guesing this is 2x 4 digit codes therefore:

0012 which appears to be 'P0012 'A' Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)'

but 1381 is not in this list here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21762... any ideas anyone?

I'm not off to search for camshaft position sensor problems, but does anyone have any more info on this?

Cheers