tyre damage after 3 days of ownership - doh!

zenk

Hi everyone,

I am glad to say I am a Z owner since last week. Have been driving with a smile on my face since I got her!

bit gutted though as I seem to have damaged the rear driver side tyre somehow. I haven't hit anything hard (e.g. curb or pothole) but noticed a bump on the tyre wall yesterday. It looks like the innertube has come through the tyre itself. At first I though it was chewing gum or some tar stuck to the tyre, but on closer inspection it really does look like the tyre wall has been punctured through by the innertube! It's smaller than a penny in size.

I assume I will need to replace the thing asap :(

Has anyone else had this happen and knows how it happens so I can try to avoid it when I replace the tyre?

I have read the forum and it looks like on my budget I will be getting a Falken FK452 to replace the tyre (Bridgeston Potenza re050) - as a complete dumb noob- is it an issue to put a falken on when the other tyres are all bridgestones?

Best to replace across the axle.

If the RE050 is good then I'd be tempted to buy another one. They are very good tyres but very expensive.

If the other one is worn buy a pair. It's better to have the same tyres all round though.

You should have the same tyre both sides of each axle. The Re050a is a much better tyre than the fk452 so you would be better getting one of them.

If you can't afford one then have a ring around your local tyre places for a decent part worn one, I'm sure you'll find one for £50 - £80. (make sure its not damaged)

I would much rather part worn RE050A's then new FK452's even if I was getting a pair. If you HAVE to get the FK452 you need to get 2.

;)

ok thanks for the advice, I will keep the back tyres the same. I did start to read the detailed post on having different tyres, but as no doubtfully informative and accurate it is, I wasn't sure if it was applicable to someone like myself who was not so concerned with high speed / track performance.

regarding my "innertube" well ahem...errm yep I'm a bit dim regarding cars in general, but what i mean was whatever is used in the run flat tech to seal the tyre off.

tbh i have no idea how they work. i have just sold a 30 year old vw t2 to get this z!

its all new and exciting for me, all this performance car lark :o)

cheers for the response fellas, Im off to read wiki in an attempt to educate myself in how this beast is put together...

The side wall of the tyre has failed to cause the bump - (but usually egg shaped/sized), and is severely weakened.

DO NOT DRIVE OTHER ON IT OTHER THAN VERY SLOWLY TO NEAREST TYRE FITER AS IT COULD SUDDENLY BURST WITH DIRE CONSEQUENCES.

I would recommend you consider taking it off the car and using your spacesaver, for yours and other road users sakes, but again only to get you to the tyre fitter.

As said by others above, if the other tyre on that axle is in good shape with lots of tread then the replacement should be exactly the same type of tyre. If not and noting your budget is stretched then a pair of Falken 452's is not a bad choice (IMHO Ekona :lol: ) for normal road use.

Run-flats are not normally used on 350's, but I expect someone will say they have them.

ok thanks for the advice, I will keep the back tyres the same. I did start to read the detailed post on having different tyres, but as no doubtfully informative and accurate it is, I wasn't sure if it was applicable to someone like myself who was not so concerned with high speed / track performance.

Thanks for making the effort to read it (many don't!), but it applies to everyone who drives on the road too. 70mph is still 70mph either on track or on the road, its still chuffin' quick if the back end overtakes the front.

Replacing all round with FK452 or buying a single RE050A (assuming the other one is fairly new, you don't mention how much tread it has) should be your only two options really. If you put Falkens only on the rear you'll have much less rear end grip, which isn't a good thing at all. :)