What are the "front exhaust heat shields?"

mbwest

Hi,

Just a quick question if anyone can help.

I have had my car looked at and have been told that there is heavy corrossion to the front exhaust heat shields.

I know this is no big deal however I don't know what the front heat sheilds actually are.

I've enclosed a picture with labels A and B. I think the front heat shield is part A. Can anyone clear this up for me.

Many thanks.

Muz.

Hi,

Just a quick question if anyone can help.

I have had my car looked at and have been told that there is heavy corrossion to the front exhaust heat shields.

I know this is no big deal however I don't know what the front heat sheilds actually are.

I've enclosed a picture with labels A and B. I think the front heat shield is part A. Can anyone clear this up for me.

Many thanks.

Muz.

I don't see any pics?

If it's the cats, that's the same issue I had. Gave me an excuse to swap them over for some high flow cats ;)

Ok thanks so far but I still haven't got the answer.

Can anyone identify, on that image, the front exhaust heat shields?

I have also been given this answer but again it doesn't narrow it down:

" Exhaust heat shields are designed to protect areas of the vehicles floor

panel and adjacent components from excess heat generated by the exhaust

system.

In regard to the question from Murray, they can be located anywhere from the

exhaust manifold to the centre exhaust silencers which include area 'B' in

the diagram."

First off....that pic is not a pic of a standard underside 350z.

Standard cars do not have a True Dual exhaust system.

The heat shield on some cars is placed in the recess that the Y-Pipe and cats sit in. This is used to prevent heat transfer into the cabin of the car. I dont believe the Zed has such a thing.

The Cats however do have a metal shield around them which is very prone to corrosion, and I could see some garages or dealerships referring to these as heat shields.

Here's a pic of the actual underneath of a Zed. The Cats are circled.

zbottom.jpg

Lexx,

Thanks very much mate.

That is a lot more helpful, I just wish I knew a bit more about cars, specifically mine... It will come with time I suppose.

If these where heavily corroded would it be ok to just remove them as a lot of people have suggested?

Lexx,

Thanks very much mate.

That is a lot more helpful, I just wish I knew a bit more about cars, specifically mine... It will come with time I suppose.

If these where heavily corroded would it be ok to just remove them as a lot of people have suggested?

Yes it is possible to remove the heatshields, I know some people have done this before. I have been told this could damage the cat itself though so is not recommended.

I had the same issue as you, mine were so bad that it resulted in a loud rattling noise at around 1k revs.

I just looked at it as an excuse to replace them with a pair of Kinetix high flow cats :)