Question for you techno tv geeks.........

nixy

.......you know who you are.....

I have an LCD tv on my bedroom wall which has been installed so there are no wires showing etc. they are all runing behind the wall and up to a socket near the ceiling. As such I can't connect anything else to the tv as A. it would look crap and B. there's nowhere to put anything. I know there's equipment available to transmit a signal from the downstairs TV to the upstairs one so that I can watch recordings i've made on the downstairs TV and DVD's but is it going to be complicated and expensive or will it require wiring?

It depends really on what quality you're after. The tech to wirelessly stream 1080p for example is still very new, and last time i checked was only really available for commercial use (like pubs/sports bars being able to put nice big screens wherever they want them and being able to change source etc. without having to rewire). I think I would have noticed if that tech had dropped down to consumer level, but i could have missed it.

Personally I'd go with wires, it'll be a ball-ache to get it done initially but will be more effective and more reliable once set up in my experience.

DB

for instance

we have sky down stairs. You can run a RF lead (standard TV coaxle cable) out the back of sky to your TV upstairs. Then you can watch any recordings or sky on ya TV upstairs. Also if you get a sky eye you can control the sky downstairs from upstairs. It connects to the RF feed in the bedroom. Probably the cheapest way of doing things. The RF feed will only be standard definition but if only on a small tv in the bedroom it will be fine.

I ran mine outside the house.

The only thing may be a problem is how do you control the Freeview box from upstairs. Not sure if you can get a equivalent sky eye for them. The RF feed out of the sky box is actually powered to enable the sky eye to work. So this would need to be checked.

You can get IR extenders which do the same thing as Sky Eye. Just means that you need extra powered boxes though. You'd have a receiver up with the telly in the bedroom/etc and a transmitter downstairs. Receiver sends the button presses from upstairs to downstairs via RF and then fires off the command to the freeview box. Not sure how much these cost these days.

+1 on wiring it if you can. We bought a wireless transmitter to my mum as a quick fix and the quality on it isnt particularly good. Going to go and hardwire in a new TV point when I can to get a better picture.

yes I had one of those at my last house and it was pretty poor quality but also I would need to stand it somewhere near the TV which isn't an option as it literally just hangs on the wall like a picture frame. Seems doing it 'properly' is my best bet!