Poor results for Gunmetal chip repairs

Dicky

Experimented with sorting the chips on my bumper and bonnet after reading some guidelines on the net.

Not very successful on gunmetal Im afraid.

Your supposed to first fill in the chip with a fine brush (art type) so the paint stands proud. Here’s the first problem. After filling in the chip and leaving it to dry (24hrs) the paint had sunk back (concave). I repeated this process 3x and still didn’t get the paint to be proud on all chips filled :angry:

Your then supposed to rub the paint back to level, I used 1200 grit wet and dry, which is pretty scary when your bonnet starts to look all scuffed up :scare: . You then use a fine cutting paste, I used T cut followed by wax polish. The scuffing disappears :D but the chip marks are still quite visible (look like spots of lighter grey)

So I have to admit FAILURE. Looks like a respray.

Anyone had a go at spraying with these airosol cans filled with the right spec paint (Halfords do them Im told) or with a budget compressor and spray gun

Anyone had a go at spraying with these airosol cans filled with the right spec paint (Halfords do them Im told) or with a budget compressor and spray gun

I have......on a £500 car.

Reasonable finish..........on a £500 car.

Would I do it on a Zed..........you bet my hairy nutsack I wouldn't.

For a start you need a sterile dust free environment - which outside of having a 'budget' 2k airchamber isn't going to happen.

Sling it to the body shop mate :thumbs:

Personally I'd cough up the extra and get it done at a paint shop.

Car and Bike Magic in Sunderland are pretty good :thumbs:

Oh, and have a look in the NE meets section (click my signature) and see if the Borders run is any good for you :thumbs:

DONT! I tryed respraying a rear quarter panel and 3times I went back as the paint was not the correct colour, took it to a pro and it looks :thumbs: cant tell the difference.

Look how much trouble a pro body shop had matching Wasso's bumper - colours out of the can just don't cut the mustard if your not doing up a shed.

Would I do it on a Zed..........you bet my hairy nutsack I wouldn't. :lol:

I'll take that as a NO then eh!

Its always hard to tell with Ricey :scare:

but +1 on the pros I have a compressor and a spray gun but I don't have a clean room so only used on trailers and gates etc.