Wanted - 2nd key for JDM imported 350Z

ianphampton

Does anyone have any contacts in Japan to get some JDM Keys?

When I bought my car about 2 years ago, it came with only 1 key (and an aftermarket remote). I asked in my local dealership about another key, but was advised by the helpful spares guy - "Dealer supplied keys are crazy expensive - buy one on the internet and just get the dealer to program it"

This I did - but today the dealer said they could not program the UK 350Z key to my JDM car.

In fairness, they didn't charge me for the 1½ hours they tried to get a result, but they said "UK keys are £220 each, plus 1 hour (£74) to program plus VAT - but your Japanese key is £259 plus the programming and VAT so total would be £399" :scare:

Now, I'm in business myself and fully support the idea of the profit driven enterprise - but £399 seems crazy.

The £25 keys you can get on eBay (which I bought. . . .) are for UK cars and they couldn't program it to my JDM car. :thumbdown:

Does anyone know of a way round this - can we get some JDM keys sent over from Japan, or do any of our members travel to Japan so could bring some back with them?

Or - do I really have to take £399 on the chin if I want a second key?