Alarm/ remote won't work after jump start?

Siman350z

Calling on the wisdom of the forum to help me out here!

Made the rookie error of leaving the lights on and with a dead battery I jump started it with jump leads running to another car (after trying and failing with one of those battery starter packs with the leads on them). Car started fine, ran it for a while, drove about and the battery is now fine. However, the alarm remote won't lock/ unlock the car. I have to do it manually with the key, upon unlocking the alarm sounds, key in ignition, full turn and it stops. I've replaced the battery in the remote- same result.

Anyone know what it could be? I'm pretty sure I noticed it the first time I tried opening the car after jump starting that the problem started, and not had the issue previously. Tried what it says in the manual to reset the unlocking code- pumping the key in and out of the ignition 6 times in 10 secs but there are no hazard warning light flashes which apparantly should show when doing this.......

:shrug:

Sometimes jump starting a car can blow a small electrical component with the voltage spike. Friend of mine jump started her MX5 and it blew the immobiliser unit (car wouldn't start at all - eventually needed a new unit at £130). The guy who sorted it said you shouldn't really jump start modern cars as it can cause voltage spikes up to 14V which is enough to fry the smaller components. He also said that if you do have to jump start a car, make sure all the lights, radio etc are on on both cars as this helps reduce the voltage spike. Much better to use a trickle charger over a number of days to get charge back in the battery. I now keep a spare battery charged in the garage that I can use if either of my cars goes flat.

Yep- this is what i'm worried about :(

I've checked all the fuses and they're fine. Frustratingly they should blow if there's a spike (thats part of the reason they're put there in the first place!) but I guess damage could still occur. Additionally, Nissan state specifically how to jump start the guide in the manual (which I followed)- if it 'can' damage the car then it shouldn't be in there, or at least there should be a warning.

Gone are they days you pushed the car down a hill in gear and lifted the clutch! Ahh....

thats a bummer dude maybe you fryed one of the diodes running to the alarm this could possibly not blow the fuse just the diode i had this problem with my civic turned out i fryed the diode and the relays wouldnt work...not good when you got keyless entry either :scare:

i bumped the zed down a hill i know your not meant to but i was in the middle of no where and i watched wrong turn the previous night :lol: never had a problem with it after that

Good point- I think i'll have a look at Japex too, they're not too far.

The rolling down a hill start is meant to damage the cat. My car isn't parked near a plug most of the time so no idea how I could trickle charge it (unless there's a portable one?).

I tried the yellow portable jump starter first off and it wasn't powerful enough (they seem to be recommended up to 2.0L anyway) so had to take the power from another car.