Strange noise when put in reverse

DoubleDeuce1973

Hi, looking from some guidance please.

For the last couple of days, I have noticed a rather load crunch/ crack sound from DSR when I put the car in reverse after driving to work. I don't get any problems when I first start the car and reverse her off the drive but after 30 minutes of driving, when I get to work and reverse into a space the noise appears (altmost like I have just run over something).

It is a one off sound that doesn't continue once the car is moved.

I have 25mm spacers on the back and recently had wheels refurbed so need to check that they are all torqued correctly. I changed brake pads to Ferodo a few weeks ago also and heard that the reas can move around (don't know if this makes a sound).

Always had a bit of a clunking from same side when on bumpy roads but nothing like this.

Any ideas?

I changed brake pads to Ferodo a few weeks ago also and heard that the reas can move around (don't know if this makes a sound).

I think you may find thats the problem because certainly there are pads that do this when reversing, it was on a " disc brake selections topic" a month or two ago.

Yeah, I had read a few post around the issue but not sure whether this is the case.

I would have thought that if it was purely down to this that the problem would have started shortly after the re fit but it must have been around 6 weeks ago that I changed them and only heard this noise this week but everyday when I get to work.

I did have some problems getting the old disc out of the caliper on the same side as it was wedged in despite getting the piston back fully. All of the others just slid out with minimal effort.

Yeah, I had read a few post around the issue but not sure whether this is the case.

I would have thought that if it was purely down to this that the problem would have started shortly after the re fit but it must have been around 6 weeks ago that I changed them and only heard this noise this week but everyday when I get to work.

I did have some problems getting the old disc out of the caliper on the same side as it was wedged in despite getting the piston back fully. All of the others just slid out with minimal effort.

That may be the problem if you did not clean up the caliper where the pad was stuck as there is likely to be a build-up (aggravated by the new pad dust) if only small that means when the rota goes in reverse and some heat has built up it 'fires' the new pad against the piston?

And did you copper grease the surfaces and shims to make sure everything moves freely?

Not saying that is the answer but given wht you have said I think that is something worth looking at first all and to check it is working OK and compares with the near side in any event :shrug: