So I went for a drive tonight...

Ekona

I'd been itching to get the 911 out for a blast this week for no other reason than that I've recently had the Sports mode & sports exhaust fitted to the car, and I haven't really had a good chance to go let her rip and prove to myself it was £3K well spent. Anyhoo, it's a lovely evening round here so I went to a decent set of roads near me and set off.

To cut a long story short I was having a blast until I came across some traffic, and since I was in no rush and there's zero overtaking opportunities on this stretch I sat back and let them get ahead, then nailed it until I caught up. That is, of course, until I realised I still hadn't tried the launch control that comes with the sports mode... :D

I let them all go miles into the distance, checked there was nothing around me and the road was straight and well-sighted, and went through the procedure very nervously. Left foot on brake, push Sport Plus button, mash the throttle to the floor and watch the revs climb until they settle on 6500, then smartly release the brake. I didn't really know what to expect, but I don't think I expected it to be such hysterically giggly fun! The moment you release the brake the whole car squats, shuffles a bit on the rear then takes off like a stabbed rat with not so much as a murmur from the tyres. It's a very surreal experience as you feel the traction control work its magic beneath you, and then the power just keeps on coming and coming and HOLY CRAP HOW QUICK IS THIS??!!

:scare:

Honest, it's bonkers and yet utterly mesmerising. Thank god that Porsche can engineer a gearbox that let's me do this over and over again without voiding the warranty :p Mental. I'm still smiling at the experience and now I can see just how Car and Driver in the US got a 3.9sec 0-60 out of a C2S and a 9.9 to 100 too. I really hope this kind of thing becomes common place in sports cars sooner rather than later, as it may be a gimmick but it's a bloody brilliant one.

I love my car :cloud9:

LC is only for the gen2 997 PDK cars sadly mate, and it's literally just a couple of buttons and a flash of the ECU to get it activated. Also remaps the throttle to be more sensitive when you put sport mode on, and it's a must-have on the later cars I reckon.

LC is only for the gen2 997 PDK cars sadly mate, and it's literally just a couple of buttons and a flash of the ECU to get it activated. Also remaps the throttle to be more sensitive when you put sport mode on, and it's a must-have on the later cars I reckon.

B)

I take it you can remap the later 996 3.6l models though

I take it you can remap the later 996 3.6l models though

You can remap any of the ECUs on the 911s for more power (and I mean any going right back to the 60's), but only the 997 got the sport mode and the various goodies that came with that.

does it affect the clutch at all? i read in a mag the other day they were doing a buying guide on an m6 and after it gets launched 3 times it needs a new clutch. :thumbdown:

It affects the clutches (I have two on the PDK, remember) in so far as it will cause some extra wear in them, however it's all very carefully controlled by the DME (ECU in Porsche-speak) so it'll be minimal. The biggest strain is on the gearbox oil as it gets very hot during launch, and if it hits a certain temperature it will stop you activating LC until it cools down enough again. No damage though, and no need to change the gearbox oil until after 6 years IIRC as per the usual servicing schedule. It's a remarkably resilient bit of kit.