Tax...

slimjim

I wish they'd get rid of car tax and put it all on petrol, it would allow people like me with a hobby car doing 2500 miles but would penalise the sales reps doing 80000 miles per year who still decide to go for a stupidly uneconomical beast.

Unfortunately it isn't car tax as most people call it, its vehicle excise duty, so a duty you pay on the type of car you own in the form of an excise tax - there are already plenty of less visible taxes on new cars that people pay.

You wouldnt expect to pay say less VAT on a product because you only buy one or two a year vs someone who buys fifty of them.

Its a product tax, not a usage tax.

Just spent £260 on a years tax! :thumbdown:

Only way to make me feel better is ..... someone post how much 12 months is for the post 06?

Isn't it £450 or something! :lol:

One of the reasons I went for a pre 06 zed! :D That and the fact that couldn't afford a post 06 one! :lol:

So haydyn your theory is that we end up paying say an extra 10pence on bread,milk,eggs,meat etc etc to conter act the additional costs for fuel. See how long it takes before your car tax saving has been used up. I do roughly 600 miles a week for my work and thats pretty much a tank of fuel (so no stupid big engine etc) this costs the business roughly 4.5k per year. If we added an extra 3 pence onto my fuel cost this would increase by roughly £750.00. Which means the business would need an additional £1000.00 of revenue to cover this.

Extrapolate this across U.K business and it doesnt make good reading. Road tax is here to stay end of. I dont like paying it either, same as I dont like Council Tax but its there and thats that. They would only get the revenues elsewhere anyhow. Tax is Tax and without it we'd be living in chaos.

"Road TAX" is basically a tax on emissions, which is why some cars pay £0 a year. (Nerdy fact alert!): Road tax was abolished by Winston Churchill in 1937. This is the same argument cyclists have when people shout at them about not paying to be on the road, technically neither are motorists, they just pay to pollute it. The main issue I have with VEL is that we never see where our yearly payment goes. As it is swallowed up by other government spending. General taxation pays for the upkeep of roads, hence why our local councils don't repair roads, if they were getting a percentage of "road tax" they wouldn't have an issue.

For info, on my 57 plate 350Z I paid £435, a 2011 plate GTR I see on a daily basis near work pays the same :dry:.

Until they take usage into account, basing it on the emissions level of a car is a completely unfair system.

My Zed des about 800-1000 miles a year. The Altea does about 8000. The Altea kicks out roughly 4-5 times the amount of CO2, but has a lower VED charge.

If its emissions based, it has to take usage into account, or it is a flawed, unfair and misleading system. Raising taxes on higher "emissions" vehicles, does nothing what so ever to reduce CO2, but it satisfies the greenies into thinking it does.

They continue to raise the taxes on company cars year on year, penalising the highest emissions vehicles, and moving those that were lower emitting further and further up the scale each year. This is done, so as to give the impression its forcing company car drivers to move to lower emissions vehicles. Its not. What they are doing now due to the ridiculous tax levels on company cars (and the way they have changed how companies can write off the depreciation) is forcing more people out of the company car scheme altogether, and back into private cars, where they dont give a stuff about the emissions.

Im moving from a company car which emits 179g/km and moving to a private car, which happens to emit 243g/km. Im financially better of for doing it too, so how can the current policies on car tax ever be considered to be environmentaly based when that can happen? :shrug:

"Road TAX" is basically a tax on emissions, which is why some cars pay £0 a year. (Nerdy fact alert!): Road tax was abolished by Winston Churchill in 1937. This is the same argument cyclists have when people shout at them about not paying to be on the road, technically neither are motorists, they just pay to pollute it. The main issue I have with VEL is that we never see where our yearly payment goes. As it is swallowed up by other government spending. General taxation pays for the upkeep of roads, hence why our local councils don't repair roads, if they were getting a percentage of "road tax" they wouldn't have an issue.

For info, on my 57 plate 350Z I paid £435, a 2011 plate GTR I see on a daily basis near work pays the same :dry:.

Pedantic as it is, the owner of a 2011 GTR would be paying £1,000 tax in the first year.

What I don’t understand is the overall economics vs. the environmental

Example

In the 1980's my mother had an Audi 100CS 5 cyl. 2.2ltr petrol this car did 41mpg all day long

In the 90's they put cat's on car and the performance went down and the fuel consumption went up

Here we are in the present day, my wife has a Alfa Mito 155 that struggles to do 34mpg and its a 1.4!

The questions is at what point does the fuel wastage overtake the seemingly unburnt Co2s

Does this make sense? I just would be interested where the balance is??

It just seems that the engines are working harder to give less :bangin:

Pedantic as it is, the owner of a 2011 GTR would be paying £1,000 tax in the first year.

Yes, its the same with National Insurance. This no longer pays for schools and Health etc. It all goes in a pot with VAT and VED, and spent on the flavour of the day.... :rant:

Weight has a lot to do with it. The Mito probably weighs not much less that the Audi 100.....

Yes, I would agree to a degree (mm, not sure if that’s grammatically correct), but still does explain why a car with 30 year old technology uses less fuel and has an engine almost twice the size! :shrug: