Brake dust!!!

HassanZ

Hi all,

Since I had Ferodo DS2500 pads fitted to the fronts, the car has been producing unbelievable amounts of brake dust.

I now regret refurbing my wheels in a light colour as it sticks out like a sore thumb! :scare::rant:

After washing it, within the first drive they are already powdered with dust.

When the wheels are clean, it makes so much difference to the appearance of the car! The car seems to stay clean for ages, the only reason I wash it is due to the wheels being caked in a thick layer of black dust.

I plan on giving my wheels a wipe every 3/4 days just to maintain the 'clean wheel look'. Does anybody else do this?

I want to know what the safest and quickest possible method there is without damaging the wheels?

I appreciate your help guys!

Regards,

Hassan

I agree wheels being dirty ruin the look of the car. Get a decent wheel sealer and heavily wax them then when you come to rinse them down the dirt just falls off them.

I wash my car every time I take it out so I dont really worry about brake dust.

gtechniq c5 - I put some on my wheels which collected brake dust within a day or two of cleaning and now can go a good week without any brake dust settling. Give them a wipe over with a damp cloth and wipe with a dry microfibre once a week.

I agree wheels being dirty ruin the look of the car. Get a decent wheel sealer and heavily wax them then when you come to rinse them down the dirt just falls off them.

Can you pls recommend any products?

You wash your car EVERY TIME!?? :scare: How often do you use it!?

I'm after a method where I can every now and again just quickly pull out the stuff and give the wheels a quick wipe and take off the dust. But I don't want to mark or stain them either... :wacko:

gtechniq c5 - I put some on my wheels which collected brake dust within a day or two of cleaning and now can go a good week without any brake dust settling. Give them a wipe over with a damp cloth and wipe with a dry microfibre once a week.

If I left my wheels for a week, it would be too caked on to do a quick wiper-over. It would need a proper wash if I waited that long.

Where could I get this gtechniq C5 from?

So wiping the wheels with a damp cloth then drying it off is safe to do?

Thanks!

Bulletmagnet has some Volks like mine, he recommended I use a good sealent and just car shampoo and water to clean.

I bought C5 Wheel Armour, was £35 for just enough to do the four wheels but since then much reduced brake dust, i just toss a bucket of water over them once a week and wipe clean with microfibres takes 2 minutes, looks great.

Oops didnt see your other post, here are the links...

I bought it from here

http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/c5-wheel-armour/

There is a good progress review of it on this detailingworld link, have a browse through, I am seeing the same results on my Volks, using just water and car shampoo where necessary and brake dust just falls off

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=189099

Bulletmagnet has some Volks like mine, he recommended I use a good sealent and just car shampoo and water to clean.

I bought C5 Wheel Armour, was £35 for just enough to do the four wheels but since then much reduced brake dust, i just toss a bucket of water over them once a week and wipe clean with microfibres takes 2 minutes, looks great.

How much does that wheel armor last? I'm hoping a long time if it's £35 a pop :scare:

How do you manage to wash the wheels without it hitting the bodywork? :lol:

I seriously need to look into purchasing some of these stuff...I cant bare leaving the wheels the way they are between washes, they look disgusting! I wash my car once every 2/3 weeks as I lack time!

Oops didnt see your other post, here are the links...

I bought it from here

http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/c5-wheel-armour/

There is a good progress review of it on this detailingworld link, have a browse through, I am seeing the same results on my Volks, using just water and car shampoo where necessary and brake dust just falls off

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=189099

Thank you!

I shall have a read through this when I finish work :teeth:

This is why I waited for a Black Edition 370z - anthracite wheels dont really show brake dust. My old gold Rota's were a nightmare :headhurt:

I do find with Poorboys wheel sealant if you do the wheels when clean, it makes them very easy to clean in the future. Just use water and LSP safe shampoo (Dodo, megs, etc)

When you use Performance Friction 01 carbon metallic race compound you will stop to maon about brake dust ;):lol:

I gave up after a week. The metalic dust/carbon particles dust are just welded solid to my gloss black wheels and they look mate blackgray now and uniform which is cool except for when they get wet and have rusty streaks :D

Agreed, it makes a huge difference. Also means if you get caught out in the rain, water just beads off too.

Mine get properly washed, dried, then pre-waxed, swirl removered (for extra layer only), then waxed. It's definitely worth the effort.

Give them a wipe over with a damp cloth and wipe with a dry microfibre once a week.

Personally, I'd wash them properly then dry the wheels. As you could be scratching the surface of the wheels. ;)

Sorry yes, lazy writing, I do wash them once a week.

Here is a pic of my wheel 100 miles after putting the C5 on.

IMG_0449.jpg

About 5 days later and some around town driving it needed a clean as dust had gathered.

As far as I know they are stock pads (only bought the car a couple of months ago)...so probably not the ones the OP mentioned.

It was a big improvement though on the non sealed wheel which collected dust within a day or two of a clean.