Phone Hacking

AK350Z

Any suggestion that Brooks and Coulston didn't know what was happening at their own bloody paper is patently ridiculous.

Up until now, I suppose like quite a few folk, the hacking mostly affected politicians and celebs who, lets face it, we're not too fussed about. But (allegedly) deleting a dead girls phone messages is waaaaaaay low, even for the murky depths of this story. And this is a story where very little has turned out to be untrue, it really is as bad as it looks!

Anyone looking to find this story in todays Sun would need a microscope to find the tiny 2 inch column on page 2, opposite that nice distracting topless lady. The UK press really is on its way out, in the face of continually dwindling circulation, its no holds barred for sales.

bah humbug! :angry:

She wasn't known to be dead when they hacked her phone and deleted the messages.

The big story here (and in other hacking cases) is the compliance of the police and other authorites, not the disreputable behaviour of freelance journalists.

Plus the Press Complaints Commission are worse than useless!

I bet there was triples all round in the the NOTW boardroom after Mulclair and Goodman got their scentences. Bet it saved a lot of higher staffers blushes.

Captain said

She wasn't known to be dead when they hacked her phone and deleted the messages.

But surely this hindered a missing persons investigation when you would think it was that person deleting the messages????

But if those papers go, how will we know what Katie Price gets up to?

What about whether Cheryl goes, does not go, does go to the US?

Very very important news.

Nevermind the boys fighting a war in Afghan, polititians robbing the taxpayers and then upping taxes and stuff like that.....

Captain said

But surely this hindered a missing persons investigation when you would think it was that person deleting the messages????

I was correcting OPs allegation that they hacked a dead girl's phone. They hacked a mssing girl's phone.

You are all missing the big story here. It's not about newspapers mis-behaving, it's the enormously powerful bodies (Government, police, secret services) sanctioning it and utilising it that (perhaps) needs revealing.

Blaming Rebekkah Wade is exactly what these people want - and have probably planned.

Captain said

I was correcting OPs allegation that they hacked a dead girl's phone. They hacked a mssing girl's phone.

You are all missing the big story here. It's not about newspapers mis-behaving, it's the enormously powerful bodies (Government, police, secret services) sanctioning it and utilising it that (perhaps) needs revealing.

Blaming Rebekkah Wade is exactly what these people want - and have probably planned.

I couldn't agree more. Coulson and Wade will be the patsies carrying the can for this. As long as there's someone to blame and pillory before the public everything will be fine. The police, the politicians and the NotW will be seen to do something and to prevent this kind of terrible thing happening again.

Meanwhile nothing will change the police and politicians will still be beholden to News International andthe puppet master Murdoch will continue pulling their strings. I genuinely think Murdoch is one of the most powerful men in this country. He's like a rotten plum turning everything else in the fruit bowl bad.

I personally feel he is a very dangerous man indeed.

I don't really know why the media keep insisting that it's phone hacking when it's not. It's voice-mail account hacking. Two very different things.

Having said that, I hope everyone involved with this despicable act get sent to prison!

Just taken from The BBC News site

Our correspondent told the BBC's Ten O'Clock News that News International has passed e-mails to police which appeared to show that the former editor of the News of the World, Andy Coulson, authorised payments to police for information.

If this is true then Cameron is going to face a lot of awkward questions.

Pete

I agree this is totally despicable but its not rocket science!!!

How many people have changed their own access code to your own voice mail.

All it takes to do this is to phone your number and when it goes to voice mail hit hash and then put in the default number i.e. 1234 1111 4321 etc. If you haven't changed yours then anyone who is leaving a message can listen to those already left.

Cheaters beware of spouse intervention :scare:

Our correspondent told the BBC's Ten O'Clock News that News International has passed e-mails to police which appeared to show that the former editor of the News of the World, Andy Coulson, authorised payments to police for information.

Pete

Why?

At the time of Milly Dowlers disappearance & the soham murders he wasnt even a front bench MP for the opposition. He may face some questions about how the police are going to clear this up now, but trying to lay blame at his door for the polices antics during the time of all this wont fly. David Blunket and/or Charles Clarke should be the ones facing the sternest questions imho.

Pete

Why?

At the time of Milly Dowlers disappearance & the soham murders he wasnt even a front bench MP for the opposition. He may face some questions about how the police are going to clear this up now, but trying to lay blame at his door for the polices antics during the time of all this wont fly. David Blunket and/or Charles Clarke should be the ones facing the sternest questions imho.

Because Coulson was appointed by Cameron 6 months after he resigned from The News of The World over the hacking allegations, there was much criticism about his appointment at the time. He (Coulson) has consistently denied any involvement, but if these latest revelations are to be believed then he has a serious problem. It's not going to look good if someone who was at the heart of government finishes up in prison. As for Blunket, he resigned in 2004, 2 years before the first news of the hacking scandal broke, are you suggesting he knew all about it and hushed it up? Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how this works out, I get the feeling that there's a lot more to come out yet.

Pete

I just wish id known how easy this phone hacking lark was a few years back when I suspected my missus was cheating on me. Luckily, even though she had taken to deleting all txt messages and clearing phone logs, she didnt realise symbian phones keep a separate phone log, which gave the game away to me.

Why is everybody so quick to try and find a scapegoat for all this? The world of the media moves incredibly quickly and is very cut-throat, so really there's every likelihood that Brooks and Coulsen didn't actually have any idea that this was going on. One of their journos comes to them with news that looks good, do you really think the editor is going to have the time to sit down and work out exactly where it came from? Of course not, so trying to pin all the blame on them without a shred of evidence (that I've seen) is completely unfair. Don't even get me started on the whole anti-Murdoch campaign trying to use this as a reason he shouldn't take over Sky...!

How many big business out there know exactly what their employees are doing at all times, and how all the results happen? Probably very few: Hell, there's only 6 of us at my firm but I couldn't tell you what everyone is doing right this instant or exactly how they're going about their jobs, I just have to have a little bit of trust in them. Make that into hundreds of people and it's even more difficult to do. Yes, people at the top do have a responsibility to ensure that things are done correctly, but they can only do so much.

Whether you actually like/read The Sun and/or NOTW, what isn't really known is that they're incredibly highly respected amongst their peers as generally they are at the cutting edge of the English language. That gets a scoff from everyone I tell, as it used to from me when my A-Level lecturer told me the same thing, until we sat down and analysed just how the Sun used language compared with the broadsheets. It opened my eyes significantly, and reading different papers from that viewpoint to this day I can see that nothing really has changed. You can use all the big words you like, but that doesn't always make for the best journalism.

FWIW I actually couldn't have cared less about the celebrities getting their phones hacked and pretty much ignored the whole story, but this thing about deleting the Dowler messages makes me sick to my stomach. Utterly disgusting, but we must only appoint blame where it is clear IMHO.

Because Coulson was appointed by Cameron 6 months after he resigned from The News of The World over the hacking allegations, there was much criticism about his appointment at the time. He (Coulson) has consistently denied any involvement, but if these latest revelations are to be believed then he has a serious problem. It's not going to look good if someone who was at the heart of government finishes up in prison. As for Blunket, he resigned in 2004, 2 years before the first news of the hacking scandal broke, are you suggesting he knew all about it and hushed it up? Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how this works out, I get the feeling that there's a lot more to come out yet.

Pete

It could be that Coulson didn't have any involvement. Should people be denied the right to be employed because they "could" be guilty of something? The people guilty of the crime are the people that dialled the numbers imho.

I agree anyone that was involved in government being sent to prison wont look good, but how is that different from say an MP or two being sent to prison for defrauding the taxpayer?

Blunket may have resigned in 2004, but if he was at the helm of the home office at the time the police were "allegedly" taking payments to release information, then he should be brought before any investigation to answer questions. Just as blair was brought before the Iraq enquiry well after he had left government.

It could be that Coulson didn't have any involvement

Could be, lets wait and see.

Should people be denied the right to be employed because they "could" be guilty of something?

In many circumstances I'd say yes. Politicians at a government level should be above suspicion IMO.

The people guilty of the crime are the people that dialled the numbers imho.

Yes, and whoever sanctioned the payments.

I agree anyone that was involved in government being sent to prison wont look good, but how is that different from say an MP or two being sent to prison for defrauding the taxpayer?

It's one of the reasons why so few people bother voting, just adds to "they're all corrupt" attitude of the general public :shrug:

Blunket may have resigned in 2004, but if he was at the helm of the home office at the time the police were "allegedly" taking payments to release information, then he should be brought before any investigation to answer questions

Fair enough, but payments and bungs to the police from newspapers have been going on long before Blunket had any power, long before he was born too. Just depends how far back the police want to look I guess?

Pete

Now it seems they've been hacking the phones of families of our soldiers killed in action :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: FFS :rant::bang: Have they no morals or shame? :shrug:

Well as they basically admitted that they pay (and have no problem with paying) police officers for info, I would guess not!

Why is everybody so quick to try and find a scapegoat for all this? The world of the media moves incredibly quickly and is very cut-throat, so really there's every likelihood that Brooks and Coulsen didn't actually have any idea that this was going on. One of their journos comes to them with news that looks good, do you really think the editor is going to have the time to sit down and work out exactly where it came from? Of course not, so trying to pin all the blame on them without a shred of evidence (that I've seen) is completely unfair. Don't even get me started on the whole anti-Murdoch campaign trying to use this as a reason he shouldn't take over Sky...!

How many big business out there know exactly what their employees are doing at all times, and how all the results happen? Probably very few: Hell, there's only 6 of us at my firm but I couldn't tell you what everyone is doing right this instant or exactly how they're going about their jobs, I just have to have a little bit of trust in them. Make that into hundreds of people and it's even more difficult to do. Yes, people at the top do have a responsibility to ensure that things are done correctly, but they can only do so much.

Whether you actually like/read The Sun and/or NOTW, what isn't really known is that they're incredibly highly respected amongst their peers as generally they are at the cutting edge of the English language. That gets a scoff from everyone I tell, as it used to from me when my A-Level lecturer told me the same thing, until we sat down and analysed just how the Sun used language compared with the broadsheets. It opened my eyes significantly, and reading different papers from that viewpoint to this day I can see that nothing really has changed. You can use all the big words you like, but that doesn't always make for the best journalism.

FWIW I actually couldn't have cared less about the celebrities getting their phones hacked and pretty much ignored the whole story, but this thing about deleting the Dowler messages makes me sick to my stomach. Utterly disgusting, but we must only appoint blame where it is clear IMHO.

As editors, they probably should know where stories come from? As for Murdoch, have you watched Fox News? :lol:

While I'm sure the Sun is a paragon of cutting edge language, the content certainly isn't. Certainly you can tell these days that virtually none of the paper is assembled by people who aren't just sitting in front of the internet at their desks.

Well the New of The World is finished, it will publish the last edition on Sunday!!

Now it seems they've been hacking the phones of families of our soldiers killed in action :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: FFS :rant::bang: Have they no morals or shame? :shrug:

Well as they basically admitted that they pay (and have no problem with paying) police officers for info, I would guess not!

As editors, they probably should know where stories come from? As for Murdoch, have you watched Fox News? :lol:

While I'm sure the Sun is a paragon of cutting edge language, the content certainly isn't. Certainly you can tell these days that virtually none of the paper is assembled by people who aren't just sitting in front of the internet at their desks.