Sat nav info please guys

MrPaul

Hello folks, just bought an 08 350Z and unfortunately my GT did not come with the sat nav.

I've been looking to find a factory one to install but haven't been able to find one yet....

Any used ones out there gathering dust that you would like to sell for a fair price? Or...

Does anyone know of a sat nav that fits the cubby perfectly??

I want it to look factory if possibly. Also I won't be touching the bose stereo and keeping this as normal.

Thanks in advance folks!!

:yahoo:

A couple of the members on here have made custom sat nav/multimedia systems that can be installed in the cubby hole. The general opinion of the factory sat nav is that its not that great.

Use the search button and have a look for the custom ones. Im sure somebody with a bit more knowledge on these will be along shortly :thumbs:

Wouldn't bother with the standard sat nav mate - awful! Sends you the long way round EVERYWHERE and also does not accept postcodes so you need to know the road name - and in my experience it never has the right number when selecting the house number... always out of range!

Wouldn't bother with the standard sat nav mate - awful! Sends you the long way round EVERYWHERE and also does not accept postcodes so you need to know the road name - and in my experience it never has the right number when selecting the house number... always out of range!

Mines fine, what age was the sat nav you tried? Mine's an 07 and there are only a few roads it tries to send me down which have changed to 1 way since then - you can always update the DVD to fix that stuff. If it had postcodes it would be a great system imho.

+1 to that, I've never heard anything positive about the standard sat navs.

Cookbooks did look very impressive when we all saw it up in Wales.

Yep - I have one installed.

I want to write a propper fair review of it rather than some thrown together quick effort. The weekend of LakeZ was the first time I used a lot of the functions and really had time to play with it.

Bearing in mind this is a £500 unit, which will get you just a dvd head unit from halfords that replaces the bose and not have a factory fit look at all, I believe the system offers mind boggling value for money.

Whilst waiting to do my propper review heres the highlights and lowlights:

Highlights:

fits perfectly into the cubby - you cant get a more factory fit look than this, unless it were to come from the factory.

great screen - no glare, very responsive touchscren

Very easy to use. Choose the sat nav software that you feel suits you best.

Connects to the BOSE using the tape hack - so you can still keep your cd player, and bluetooth phone - the buttons on the steering wheel will still change the volume and control your phone - they just wont change track when using this system (they will still change track if you listen to a cd though)

More functions than you can shake a stick at. Even a geek like me has more than enough to keep me occupied:

A few feature highlights:

Copy music/pictures/video to and from the device using your home wifi connection while the car is sat in the garage

Use a data connection and you can navigate using google maps sattelite imagery.

No data connecton - no problem, use one of TWO installed sat nav programs with maps built in. (I used both of these during the lakez weekend to test them and they both worked perfectly)

Keep the missus happy at meets or shows by connecting this to a portable wifi device (phone of mifi) or even via USB to a phone, and you have the internet in your car.

Ebay, streaming tv, streaming radio, podcasts, facebook, iplayer.

Email.

Its expandable too - comes with an 8GB card, or you can use a 16GB card - or if you install a USB lead to the system, you could stick a USB powered 1TB HDD on the end if you really like. There may even be the option for a reverse camera additoin too.

You can have the optional component to connect to the cars ODBII port (invisible install), you can then check for error codes if your car is throwing any - saving money if you need to get something fixed, or you can just opt to doo all sorts of other geeky things like look at your air intake temperature, throttle position, coolant temperature etc etc. Think GTR dashboard.

Want to leave a kid in the car while you are at a meet or show? It can connect to a wii remote and you can play snes games on it.

In short, if you can do it on an android tablet conecte to yor home wifi, you can do it on this.

Low lights:

The only single point that some may not like, though this is common accross all systems that use the bose hack, is the volume and clarity of the sound. Don't get me wrong, its still prfectly fine for normal use, but if you really want to turn the volume up and have it blaring out, the tape hack way of inputting the signal isnt the greatest. Im sure there will be an easy fix for this either using a different type of supressor for the audio signal, or a small inline amp. Though, if you dont want to regularly crank up the volume to very high levels, this really isn't a problem at all. A proper AUX in on the bose would have rendered this a none issue.

I shall try and do a more comprehensive review with pics etc, but for me it is exactly what I wanted from a system in the car.

Nice review :clap: Do these fit in the post 06 350z cubby hole?

You would have to ask cookbot, but I believe its actually easier to fit in the post 06 than the pre 06. Mine is an 05, which was an interesting fit, as we combined various elements of a post and pre 06 cubby to make it fit perfectly. If you have a facelift interior, then its a straight forward fit - its the wait for the suppliers of the cubbys that causes the delays at present.