Boot lid

LordGrover

So... I'm not keen on the standard boot lid 'lip spoiler' so considering getting it removed. I've noticed several around without it so it's clearly feasible. Is it purely cosmetic or is it functional like the original Audi TT's? I don't want to go whanging off at Quarry Corner because the rear's suddenly gone too light.

I then got to thinking about replacing the whole shebang with a somewhat lighter affair, like this CF boot lid: click. Probably a fair amount of work involved with that though, swapping over all the bits, getting it fitted, painted, etc. Does anyone know how much the stock boot lid weighs and how much weight may be saved?

Should I just lose the spoiler or replace the whole thing?

The rear boot lid weighs a complet and utter TONNE!!

I have a Seibon boot and I have no real issues with it. There maybe a very slight fitment issue, because it's so light, it struggles to compress against the rubber cushion around the edge of the boot and may not seal as good as the oem. As you can see from this recent pic from the LakeZ

025.jpg

I am looking to have the boot catch shortened so that it seals better.

The only issue in reducing the weight from the back is when you come round to slippery road conditions, being lighter the back end tends to step out a little easier, and in the snow it's even harder to obtain traction.

Weight saving is:

from oem to carbon will save you 21kg

if you ditch the spare wheel and tools you'll save a further 23kg

So that's 44kg loss very easily. If you go for a Titanium exhaust, you'll save 23kg. Lose the seats, cats, lightened fly wheel, pulleys, lighter strut bar, lose the aircon or any other luxuries the possibilities are endless.

Although remember the car is already pretty much 50/50 weight distribution, or 49/51 not sure, so if you start messing too much it could unsetle the car? Although I'm no expert on this.

I've managed to shed 66kg and I personally believe it makes a difference, not massively, but just a slight edge. :thumbs: