Aluminium Wheel Nuts

coldel

like i said, avoid internal drive nuts. external only for me now, after I had about 9 of 16 alloy ones round off and needed a lot of hole saw bits to drill it out.

internal drive nuts are the best, just don't both with aluminium ones, the metals too soft.

steel will be fine

Internal are hardly the best, they have less surface area engagement than the external types. Steel are fine yes, thats why my work changed the Small Diameter Alloy nuts to external drive and kept SD Steel nuts as internal.

The best nuts for peace of mind of rounding off etc are supposedly the new style 10/11 reg merc bolts

I'll let you all know when my Duralumin nuts either fall apart, sheer off, or breakdown.

In the meantime they've been on the car 3 months with no issues, including a Hoon in Wales and Maidstone, wheels have also been off on 3 occasions without any issues.

:p

I am a big fan of steel internal nuts :) I run them on all my cars, they save any wheel damage. The older style allen key ones were a little hit and miss, but the current version which are star drive are spot on... so much so we got them here in 4 different finishes :D

It is possible for Aluminium ones to work, they just require much greater care, as they are a softer material, so they will tend to fail over time if over-tightened and not kept copper-slipped or similar to prevent galvonic corrosion :)