Router Modem woes...

After being a loyal Netgear user for years, I feel it's time to switch to another brand.

My current DGN2000 is playing up, the Wi-Fi keeps dropping for no reason while I am sat next to the router.

It drops connection more often as of recently and I have phoned my ISP before to have the connection reset at the exchange, still drops unexpectedly.

Now I have had my eye on this and was wondering if anybody here has got this one and how it measures up

Belkin PlayMax F7D4401UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003GALT74/r ... B003GALT74

Thanks

I have this exact problem with my Netgear :rant:

To be fair I've had it for about 4/5 years so it probably needs replacing. Instead of buying a new one, I phoned my ISP and threatened to leave and they upped my package, reduced the cost and sent my an N-rated router for free :#1:

I'm on Sky and my netgear does the same, suddenly jumping to the amber light to re-connect.

I'm yet to approach sky about it, as it's a very rare occurance.

In terms of replacement I can't help you on that one.

PM spursmaddave, he had some router probs recently which I think he resolved, he's a bit of an IT fiend as well so should be able to help. He's waiting for broadband to be connected as they just moved but I'm sure he'll pick it up on his phone. :)

After being a loyal Netgear user for years, I feel it's time to switch to another brand.

My current DGN2000 is playing up, the Wi-Fi keeps dropping for no reason while I am sat next to the router.

It drops connection more often as of recently and I have phoned my ISP before to have the connection reset at the exchange, still drops unexpectedly.

Now I have had my eye on this and was wondering if anybody here has got this one and how it measures up

Belkin PlayMax F7D4401UK

Thanks

I had this with my netgear virgin media super hub. I actually think it's the laptop network card as my phone still works but the laptop won't even pick up the router at all. I then have to reset the router before the laptop will pick up a signal.

How easy is it to change the network card in the laptop ?

interesting that I am not the only one :)

The netgear kit is normally very good. I run an access point as well (netgear) in my network, but that never plays up and is now (hmmmm) 6 years old and I never have to reset it. I wonder if it has something to do with the line which is being provided.

Don't forget the line is like the london underground, crowded and unreliable!

I bet if you paid for a upgraded line the issues could potentially go away.

The netgear kit is normally very good. I run an access point as well (netgear) in my network, but that never plays up and is now (hmmmm) 6 years old and I never have to reset it. I wonder if it has something to do with the line which is being provided.

As before, I have contacted the ISP before to have my connection reset at the exchange and it still happens.

Now I frequently reset the router to regain connection, plus the Wi-Fi has become sporadic.

Last year I thought it may have something to do with overheating of the Netgear router, so I took it apart and drilled holes into the housing, looks like a sieve now, lol.

and even after airflow has been improved, is now starting to deteriorate in regards to connectivity.

As before, I have contacted the ISP before to have my connection reset at the exchange and it still happens.

Now I frequently reset the router to regain connection, plus the Wi-Fi has become sporadic.

Last year I thought it may have something to do with overheating of the Netgear router, so I took it apart and drilled holes into the housing, looks like a sieve now, lol.

and even after airflow has been improved, is now starting to deteriorate in regards to connectivity.

Increasing airflow is one idea, how about spacers or coilovers? :lol:

Sounds like the router is packing up if it's droping wi-fi connectivity.

Hmm, I have several laptops running at home and one of them running Vista drops the connection once or twice a day, the others running XP never drop the connection :shrug: If you reboot the computer and your connection comes back on then its unlikely to be the router, more likely a problem with the internal wireless card in the laptop. I kinda fixed mine by disabling the onboard WiFi card and and replaced it with a USB wireless stick which limited dropouts to once a week or so. There's also an option to turn off the WiFi card when the computer is idle, this is enabled by default and needs to be disabled as quite often the card is unable to wake up from its slumbers. Also, after some experimentation, I've found that setting static IP's for devices attached to the router improves stability a tad.

Just read your latest post and yeah, if you're having to reset your router constantly then it needs replacing. Mine often goes 6 months without a reset :)

Pete

PM spursmaddave, he had some router probs recently which I think he resolved, he's a bit of an IT fiend as well so should be able to help. He's waiting for broadband to be connected as they just moved but I'm sure he'll pick it up on his phone. :)

Belkin PlayMax F7D4401UK

Thanks