Is it safe to drive the Z using the spare wheel?

DP7657

Not long term (stupid obviously) but for a day or so while I get one of the front alloys repaired? Naturally driving uber sensibly in this period?

Anyone know if that's likely to do any harm or is it just a case of don't be an idiot with it?

I have to wait 3 days for the alloy to be repaired and refurbished. Would be an absolute mission to get to work and back without the car.

If I get the vibe from here that it's not a good idea to drive on it at all, even carefully for a few days then of course I'd rather the trek of a commute than a broken Z.

I blew a tyre on a 250bhp 3.7 Mitsubishi Eclipse hire car in The States. Had no option but to fit the space saver and drove approx 35 miles on it. Kept my speed down to 45 max, took it easy especially on corners..no problems. The other option is for someone to loan you a Ray :shrug:

Pete

That thought did pass through my mind but I'm taking the car over tomorrow so prooobably a bit late for that now.

I haven't had any definite DON'T DO IT posts from the Z experts yet so will probably go with the < 50mph for a couple of days plan...

How far have you got to travel? Personally I'd prefer to pay for a taxi or public transport rather than risk the damage you could do.

what damage? Its a space saver thats comes with the car not a sub machine gun!? :lol::lol: Its there for a reason :bangin:

as long as you stay <50mph, there is no damage that can occur from a space saver..

they are just a normal wheel that has been manufactured to run <50mph (obviously avoid potholes and drains as the smaller width would take a larger impact..)

as been said before, run it gentle and you will be fine..

Will

How far have you got to travel? Personally I'd prefer to pay for a taxi or public transport rather than risk the damage you could do.

what damage? Its a space saver thats comes with the car not a sub machine gun!? :lol::lol: Its there for a reason :bangin:

I guess it's just me that would want to see how it drifts with a space saver on the rear then? :drive1

as long as you stay <50mph, there is no damage that can occur from a space saver..

they are just a normal wheel that has been manufactured to run <50mph (obviously avoid potholes and drains as the smaller width would take a larger impact..)

as been said before, run it gentle and you will be fine..

Will

I guess it's just me that would want to see how it drifts with a space saver on the rear then? :drive1

Well considoring its his front thats needing repaired...

Hahaha, thanks for all the responses to this, has made me feel a bit more comfortable with the idea. It's been done now anyway, definitely not going to be getting the looks in the Z this week that I have been used to.

Needless to say a R17 space saver doesn't look the best on the car...

5718441730_21902b2202.jpg

Will be with this for a few days and will definitely be taking it easy. Thanks again for everyone's help, I'll write up a post once the alloy is done if they do a good job to let anyone else in the area know about them :)