K&N filter cone - part number and re-oiling amount

andyvvc

Just cleaned and re-oiled my K&N cones from the Stillen Gen 1. I *thought* i had put enough oil on them, but checking the K&N website it looks like i hadn't oiled the cones anywhere near enough!

The cleaner kit i bought has the squeezy oil bottle with an ounce/ml gauge on the side. I have re-oiled the cones and still only used just over 50ml of oil to do both cones.... K&N recommend 36ml per cone apparently.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... od=RC-2960

The cones both look very red now with no white spots. I'll leave them for an hour then re-fit if the redness has passed to the lower pleats of the cone. I suspect with the K&Ns (because they need oil to filter properly), its safer to over-oil than it is to under oil. If i need to clean the MAFs in a few months i can do. I can't clean the inside of the engine if bits of sh1t get in it due to too little oil used on the cones :lol:

The annoying thing is that i *have* under-oiled them according to K&N (by about 1/4 of the recommended amount per cone). To my eyes they look well oiled now, so i have refitted them.

Surely an over-oil will just result in a messy "Stillen" intake box, and maybe a little oil being sucked thru to the MAFs requiring a clean in a few months? Don't the MAF's have an auto clean anyway where they burn-off residue periodically?

Isn't under-oiling (thus not filtering properly) a greater risk than over-oiling?

In reality it probably doesnt make any difference at all. If you have given them a good even coating it will be filtering properly. You may find with a little less oil they might not last as long before requiring another clean, but that doesnt matter much, just do them once a year and you'll be good to go. I think the ones I have in my Stillen G3 kit say to oil them once every 50k miles! Thats about once every 3yrs for me atm if not longer.

WRT over oiling and fouling the MAF, thats largely an urban myth. Some time back I posted a vid from K&N where they tested MAFs and submerged them in filter oil. Once dried, they ran the "self clean" burn off and all was fine. They stated of all the dead MAFs they'd had, none of them were down to filter oil, it was pure coincidence they died when the owner fitted a K&N filter - more likely they were heavy handed with the MAF.