Why do you need to depress clutch to start the Zed

HassanZ

Hi all,

I've always wondered why you need to depress the clutch to start the car. I'm guessing one of the obvious reasons is to prevent you jerking forward if you start it in gear, any other reasons?

I've heard starting the car whilst depressing the clutch is hard on the throttle thrust bearing?

When I first purchased the car (coming from an automatic BMW 330ci sport), I wasn't in the habit of depressing clutch when starting her up. All the lights on the dash flicker showing the car cannot start.

Can attempting to the start the car repeatedly without depressing the clutch damage/wear any components or electrics?

Many Thanks,

Hassan

I doubt there'd be any issues trying to start the car without depressing the clutch. It's only going to be a switch mechanism to the ignition and without being depressed it just won't start.

I would throw in a random guess that in depressing the clutch can be deemed as an added security measure, further to this starting the car with the clutch depressed is also easier for the engine to turn over, as there are less moving parts in contact with the engine on startup.

I always start ANY car with the clutch depressed, just pure habit!

Even an auto? ;):p

I suspect it's just a precaution against leaving the car in gear without realising, nothing more sinister than that.

Coming probably from an earlier era with cars, i.e. late sixties up to now, this was the advice given to car owners by most car organisations. The concept being that it made starting easier with the pedal pressed down. Nissan took it a step further by tying it into a start procedure for safety as well.

i always park and leave in gear, you should do as you shouldn't trust a hand brake alone.

the depress method stops incidents where different drivers use the car, someone gets in starts the car but doesn't vheck the gear; and does what my ex did and drive through her parents garage as the car lurches forward. she tried to blasme me for leaving it in gear. but it was her fault not to check it.

My HSV has the same feature.

Its nothing more than stopping you jerking forward if you try and start the car in gear.

Try telling a 13 year old, Zanussi and Hotpoint that :blush::headhurt:

:lol:

That brings back memories huh?! :lol:

Even an auto? ;):p

I suspect it's just a precaution against leaving the car in gear without realising, nothing more sinister than that.

I avoid Auto cars, I find them annoying!! (No disrespect to those who own auto's) although I find the only use is stuck in heaps of traffic either in London or stuck on a motorway. Apart from that Auto boxes have no room in my life.

Unless it has flappy padles!! :thumbs: