Engine braking....

slimjim

Quick question...

If you are engine braking in the Zed.... Are you using fuel?

Couple of the newer cars (most of the NEW cars) have a feature that you use little if not NO fuel when using the engine for braking...

Is this like this in the Zed? Im presuming not, but thought I'd as the question :)

It's really difficult to pin down an answer to this, so I'm not giving any opinion. There are several reasons given why it must use some fuel firstly to avoid detonation and secondly to avoid catalyst damage. Others say no fuel at all is used. One answer I saw avoided the question altogether by saying that you should use your brakes because they're cheaper to replace than gearboxes :shrug: . Apparently in days of old engine braking was essential as on long downhills brakes would overheat and even catch fire :scare:

Pete

I think it uses less or the same amount of fuel as if the engine is idling, because the throttle is 'shut' and you're trying to slow to idling speed? although the throttle may not be totally closed? I thought you need a little bit of fuel to help lubricate the pistons?

I think there's an engine I've heard of that can 'shut down' half the cylinders if you're driving economically?

I think there's an engine I've heard of that can 'shut down' half the cylinders if you're driving economically?

A lot of modern V8s can do this as its very easy to cycle just 4 cylinders and make it a 4 pot. I think a few of the big yank tanks do this. All F1 cars now do this too, apparently some of them can run on cycling even less cylinders I'm sure they said yesterday in qualifying.