Newbi...Cracked 350 Z wheels danger... help needed

Hi Guys... am new on here and an Ex UK pat living in Sydney....

I am new on here. I have a 6 year old 350Z with 57000 klm on the clock and just found that one of my wheels is cracked. The car is in near perfect condition with one prior owner 18 months ago... so i am 2nd owner.

Having worked in the auto industry for Lotus cars.. i know about wheels and wanted to get your story on cracked 350z wheels... if there is any.

I am shocked by the crack and am thinking there should have been a recall on this problem...as they should not crack at 6 years old and only 57K on the clock.

Called dealer... he says yep had loads of 350Z's with cracked wheels.

Called Nissan Australia.... not interested and said your problem... and we have not any cracked wheels so no recall.... and pay up

Anyone else had the problem? I am not bothered about the $1200 its cost me its just that my girl was driving the car and the dealer said it could have killed her if it had gone.

If there is a problem and people have had the same issue.. i am going to make sure there is a recall.... Nissan won't even take the wheel away to do a stress check!! How bads that... Dont think a wheel should fail and pontetially be a fatal accident waiting to happen?? What's your thoughts??

HFR :boxing:

Welcome to the Forum! :thumbs:

Never heard of cracked wheels being a common fault but I'm no expert! :shrug: Sounds terrifying though! :scare:

Id be :angry: and :rant: if my lady had been driving!

Not been caused by potholes in the road etc?!

Hope you get it sorted! :thumbs:

Silver lining is you now have the perfect excuse to get some tasty new rims! :teeth:

You don't say what type or brand of wheel you are referring to. :)

If they are oem Nissan wheels or Rays and the wheels have had a refurb and been in the oven at to high a temperature then that will be what has weakened the rim.

Rays are forged and are therefore very strong, however overcooking weakens then considerably.

Hope this helps. :thumbs:

Welcome to ther forum.

Alex. :)

Sounds like you've done it on one of the many potholes around. Doubt there's anything apart form the UK government to blame........................

He's in Oz :bangin:

HFR: As Alex says, most likely cause is the rim has been refubished and cooked too hot which has weakened the rim. I havent heard of any stories of OEM wheels cracking bar those that have been refurbished. Out of interest, which ones do you have?